GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do anyone know if you can program in a route on the gps besides just the shortest or qwickest ones, such as side roads only or ones that are more scenic or even curvy mountain roads over long distances?

Wht Lightning

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
You can tell it to stay off the interstates.

You can program your route with the use of vias (waypoints).

Put in a destination, then add vias to make the route swing through that town or highway. Can have up to 10 vias.

If 10 vias isn't enough you could break your route up into segments. I.E. you would have to enter the next segment after you finish the first segment.

You can enter up to 100 favorite places in and later call certain ones up to be used as vias.

I'm new to this and look forward to trying my advice in the spring.

This is how I gather it works from what I've seen (personally) and heard.

It doesn't know scenic, curvey or dangerous areas. It may take you right through NYC and Harlem unless you use 1 or 2 vias to route you away from it.

Take it for what it's worth.

PS. For local use try the shortest route for the most fun. The quickest will use routes you've traveled many times.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Don has some good advice on the Nav. One thing that I found out that annoys me is if you chose " shortest " route it will program you via the shortest route but that even includes DIRT roads. I don't know how to disable dirt roads. If somebody does please tell me.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
For anyone that may not know, you can press in the zoom lever on the left handlebar and see a listing of your full route.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but someone posted that you could avoid interstates. I haven't had the time to do much checking on my own system yet, but does the avoidance listed as "highways" really mean that it will avoid interstates, all highways or what?

·
Registered
73 Posts
ligon
When you turn off "Highways" the GPS will route you on as many county roads as possible. It will only take you on a highway if there is no other way to get you to the next county road it requires to get you to your destination.
For instance, it might route you back from a county road onto a highway for a few miles then have you turn off onto another county road as soon as possible. It's a good feature but allow a little extra time because if you program in a couple of "via's and turn off the Highways you can end up with some long but scenic routes.
One more point too. If you are out in rural areas, there are sometimes county roads that are dirt and the GPS doesn't know it. It's possible that thsoe county roads are Platt planned to be tarred but haven't been done yet. Who knows? In Minnesota most country roads are tarred and have been for years but there are still a few REALLY rural areas that have county dirt roads. When I run into that I just keep going straight instead of turning onto the dirt road. The system recalculates the route and eventually you'll end up on a tarred road. If you have to pass a few dirt roads first, just ignore the turn and go straight. It'll just keep rerouting untili you find a tarred road. Turn on that and you'll get where you're going with no problem. But you might lose some time and miles but that's the fun of it.
Kevin

·
Registered
123 Posts
If you tell it to avoid hwy's the thing will take you on a roller coaster
on and off exits and entrances. :? I don't think you can do what you want. :( :( :flg: ( I 10 west san Antiono) :eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts