GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the Factory windshield the same as the short or tall listed on the web site or somewhere in between?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Chef, the factory Honda windshield is in betweeen. I'm using the extra tall Honda windshield. It's 2.08" taller than stock, and now they make the shorty shield. What's up....you need a stock shield :?:

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, want a tall. need just a little more than stock. Might go with windbender, but, the expense is a bit more that I want right now.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Any particular reason you're not thinking of the CeeBaileys? You can get them in taller sizes and do a very good job of reducing the buffeting.

It's still adjustable so you can raise it up when you want maximum protection (SO onboard) and don't mind looking through it or drop it down when it's just you.

I usually keep mine so its just below normal eye level when riding alone, and raise it up when the wife gets on with me. If I had to do it over again, I'd probably have gotten the +2" version.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Chef, what I like about the Honda extra tall is that it looks exactly like the stock and has the same adjustments. I can still look over it if I lower it, and I look through it if raised all the way.

I also like the looks of the Clearview shield that's being posted about. I think it's on the General board.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, there certainly is a lot of info here about windshields. I think I'll be going with the HondaLine Tall (+4)

Don't want to get into reasons as I don't want my opinions misconstrued, but one big factor is the Lexan/Acrylic material.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Closetchef said:
Don't want to get into reasons as I don't want my opinions misconstrued, but one big factor is the Lexan/Acrylic material.
I won't ask the reasons.... but I will ask why about Lexan/Acrylic. What's the factor on that? I'm leaning heavily towards a Clearview (due to prior good experience with them) but still haven't decided yet.

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
Can you get the tall Hondaline with the vent installed like the 04's? If so, the vent might feel good this summer behind a taller shield!

The vent has been nice for me even in the cooler weather. It seems if you keep it cracked open a hair the air is actually stiller in the driver's area.

The factory shield is alot easier to maintain than the aftermarket shields I have had. The coating helps prevent scratching!

·
Registered
679 Posts
No help to you CC, but . . .

isn't there someone that installs vents in factory shields?

:yw1:

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hondaline is Lexan with a hardcoating to help reduce scratching. Don't know of or couldn't find specs on others that are the same.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Can you get the tall Hondaline with the vent installed like the 04's? If so, the vent might feel good this summer behind a taller shield!
Red, This past December when I got my 03 I tried to get a Tall 04 windshield with a vent and Honda at that time didn't make a tall with a vent as a Seporat Perches option! :cry:

And has anyone instaled that Kuryakyn $45.95 vent for the honda shield? Honda's is rediculisly priced!

Al

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i am going to geta tall windshield

i see there is some differences in the materials used in various windshields

why do i want one material over another

loren

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Allowable methods of fabrication, optical clarity, thickness, breakability and coatings. All these things go into my opinion.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Hey Chef,

While you are here. How come I can't find your Cargo Keepers on Hal's site. I see some of your other Items, but not them.

One would think, that after being in the "Wing World" product review, that these would be a hot item.

I need to order a couple of sets for some Friends, but would like to get them through Hal, as I have a $500 gift certificate to burn up.

I am just curious is all!

Bulldog

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
mrglo2, I wouldn't hesitate on the clearview. Not only have I also used them on other bikes but I am currently using one on the Wing. Optic's are excellent, and after some 15,000 plus miles it looks perfect.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just in case anyone is researching the difference in these materials, here is a little info to get you started on the difference between Lexan and acrylic.
Lexan is a trade name for polycarbonate. I'm not sure but I think it's DuPont's name. Polycarbonate is very shatter resistant and can be bent significantly with no damage. Damage that does occur is in the form of milky white crease lines. With enough repeated bending, it can break, but it takes a lot of very rough handling.
Acrylic goes by trade names of Plexiglas, and Lucite, and maybe others. Acrylic will break without warning if bent too much, and will shatter if it receives a big enough impact.
Light scratches can be repaired on acrylic easier than they can on polycarbonate.
Hope this helps. There's prolly plastics experts here that can provide lots more info if anyone is interested.

Jeff W.
Cary, NC

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I put a Show Chrome vent in my windshield. It does not work nearly as good as the Honda vents. The vent is hard to open and close but it does flow a lot of air. The Kury is the same from what I've heard. I like vents and think they are great in the summer. Try to find a 1500 vent that's lieing around somewhere.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts