GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what to put on the Red paint when it starts to fade? Is there any kind of restorer that might.

·
IronMan
17,618 Posts
POLISHING COMPOUND AND WAX IT . KEEP IT WAXED = SHOULDN'T FADE :serious::smile2:

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Before using Compound, I’d try a less aggressive product such as “Scratch off” or a mild polish. Once the clear-coat is breached not much will stop the damage. Red is one of the worst colors.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
on my 08 gl the red is turning gold and silver in spots from sun exposure always garaged except when riding. the paint is still shines like it should but the red pigment in the paint is changing when i was into body and paint with autos it was common on some colors of red to change with pigment loss. i looked at one at a honda dealer saturday with the same issue.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you think it's too far gone bring it to the local sign shop and have them do a partial wrap. Any color or a print.

Just don't plan on matching the original paint color exactly, **** near impossible. Better off doing a complimentary or a contrasting color.

I'm going to print an American flag for the sides of my tank where my riding pants are leaving scuff marks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've seen several red bikes (mainly 06 and up 1800's) with paint fade. I just upgraded from a 94 Candy Spectra red to a 10 Caliente Red myself, the paint on the 2010 is in great shape since it only has 3K miles on it. My 94 has little to no paint fade, but for the last 13 years I kept it waxed with Cycle Care Formula 3 wax/polish. With the 2010, I'm switching gears, nothing against Cycle Care, it's a great product, but I don't see it at rallies anymore, so you have to purchase online. I already keep Turtle Wax Ice on the shelf for my car and truck, so I'm just going to use it on the bike as well. I've been pleased with the performance of the Ice on both vehicles, and in a recent of GWRRA's Wing World Magazine, they did an article on waxes and polishes. Turtle Wax Ice claims UV protection and prevents paint fade. I'll use the paste wax a couple of times a year and they have an Ice spray detailer that I can use between washes. One nice thing about the Ice is that it leaves no white residue, so I even wax the black plastic mirrors on the truck.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Clean the paint with Isopropyl Alcohol to remove any old waxes. Buy some automotive Ceramic Coating and apply as directed. It brings the depth and colour out in the paint making the bike look great. I have applied a coating to my bike and trailer myself and they look great. Here is a video I found online explaining what they are.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts