GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Love The DCT
11,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who ride your bikes in the wintertime on salt/brine covered roads, here is something you might want to think about even though you might wash the bike after each ride in those conditions.

After our big snowstorm last Thursday, I was standing by the left front tire cleaning the snow off of my GXP cage when I heard a loud release of air. I looked down at the wheel and was amazed to see the metal valve stem had completely severed a couple of threads up from the retaining nut. Of course it didn't take very long for the tire to go completely flat. The TPMS/metal stem was replaced. I took the failed stem to a metallurgist friend of mine. He said it failed due to corrosion caused from the chemicals used to melt snow/ice. I usually try to wash the vehicle once a week to get all the salt/chemicals off, but you never really get it removed from crevices such as the metal valve stem/retaining nut interface.

I had new front tires installed a month ago, and the shop did not see anything wrong with the stem at that time. However, the tiny cracks caused by the salt/chemicals would not be visible to the eye. To have a metal stem fail on the bike while riding would not be good. :eek:4:

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
So were they the sooper cheep 10 for a dollar ones or the more expensive heavy ones?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
This is the reason I don't ride until a couple good rains in the spring. I am now thinking how many other parts are covered and corrosion is taking it toll on. I want to ride as much as anyone. But can't afford to replace a bike because it corroded away under me.

·
IronMan
17,451 Posts
PLEASE BE MORE CLEARER ON WHAT SNOW N CHEMICALS ARE YOU POSTED ABOUT,. HAD MY STOCK ONE FAIL LAST MONTH AND MY WEATHERMAN SAID WAS CAUSED BY RIDING IN DIRECT SUNLIGHT MOST OF THE TIME .WENT TO METAL . HOPE IT LASTS 75,000 / 9 YRS LIKE OEM !:lol: I WAS UP IN OHIO FOR XMAS AND UNDERCARRIAGE OF VAN IS ALL RUSTY !

·
Love The DCT
11,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PLEASE BE MORE CLEARER ON WHAT SNOW N CHEMICALS ARE YOU POSTED ABOUT,. HAD MY STOCK ONE FAIL LAST MONTH AND MY WEATHERMAN SAID WAS CAUSED BY RIDING IN DIRECT SUNLIGHT MOST OF THE TIME .WENT TO METAL . HOPE IT LASTS 75,000 / 9 YRS LIKE OEM !:lol: I WAS UP IN OHIO FOR XMAS AND UNDERCARRIAGE OF VAN IS ALL RUSTY !
Around here, the following chemicals are used for melting snow/ice on roads. Sodium chloride, calcium chloride, magnesium chloride, magnesium carbonate, and magnesium acetate. :eek:4: :doorag:

Only 40K miles on the valve stem when it failed.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Nothing cheap about it. It's a one piece unit consisting of the TPMS sensor with integral metal valve stem, $171 bucks.:doorag:
Oh wow. You mean the OEM valve stems? That is seriously bad! Wonder who makes them for Honda? I would be looking for a warranty replacement. Definitely.

Sent from my iPhone

1 - 11 of 11 Posts