GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this happen at least twice since buying my 2018 last August.

Stopping for fuel I have the bike in N, turn the knob to 'off', pump the gas and turn the knob to the 'on' position. Press the start switch. Nothing happens. Screen is blank.

I repeat this twice more ... then, the screen reacts and I can start the bike.

Anyone have this happen? I don't understand what the deal is. Makes me nervous. Never happens when I get the bike outa the garage ... just after riding for a few hours and getting fuel. ??

·
Registered
8,728 Posts
I've had this happen at least twice since buying my 2018 last August.

Stopping for fuel I have the bike in N, turn the knob to 'off', pump the gas and turn the knob to the 'on' position. Press the start switch. Nothing happens. Screen is blank.

I repeat this twice more ... then, the screen reacts and I can start the bike.

Anyone have this happen? I don't understand what the deal is. Makes me nervous. Never happens when I get the bike outa the garage ... just after riding for a few hours and getting fuel. ??
Have you tried applying the front brake?:smile2:

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you tried applying the front brake?:smile2:
No, but I did try a couple Hail Mary's without a positive result. Some #&#*! words didn't help either.

·
Registered
471 Posts
....... turn the knob to the 'on' position. Press the start switch. Nothing happens. Screen is blank......
When you turn the knob, no indicator lights, nothing at all?

Acts like a very weak FOB battery.
Bike is not seeing the FOB, so blank screen.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you turn the knob, no indicator lights, nothing at all?

Acts like a very weak FOB battery.
Bike is not seeing the FOB, so blank screen.
Yeah ... turn off bike, fuel up, turn knob ... blank screen. Repeat knob couple tmies .... then it lights up and vrooommm!

I'll change out the FOB battery. But, bike is just a year old. ??

BTW ... I dislike FOBs. Keys work all the time. And, no battery to change out.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Not sure if this is what is happening to you, but I'll throw this out there - if you lock the handlebar by rotating the start knob twice (counterclockwise) when shutting off the engine, then when rotating the knob clockwise to restart the engine, the first rotation clockwise unlocks the handlebar only, without turning on the displays and without enabling the start switch. You have to rotate the start knob clockwise once again to turn on the display and enable the start switch. That caught me once when I first got my bike.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure if this is what is happening to you, but I'll throw this out there - if you lock the handlebar by rotating the start knob twice (counterclockwise) when shutting off the engine, then when rotating the knob clockwise to restart the engine, the first rotation clockwise unlocks the handlebar only, without turning on the displays and without enabling the start switch. You have to rotate the start knob clockwise once again to turn on the display and enable the start switch. That caught me once when I first got my bike.
Thanks. I try never to lock my GW since it's always in the garage. But, when refueling I may have done what you said. ??

Thanks for the tip.

I still hate FOBs. :)

·
Registered
19,219 Posts
1) check terminal tightness to battery
2) check battery voltage
3) replace battery if not within spec voltage
4) make sure you are clicking middle FOB button and seeing ONE BLINK
when turning off the bike

·
Registered
360 Posts
Try holding down the start button for a couple of seconds. For a restart, you don’t have to turn the knob, at all. Just push, and hold the start button and it will light up and start.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Try holding down the start button for a couple of seconds. For a restart, you don’t have to turn the knob, at all. Just push, and hold the start button and it will light up and start.
This ^^^ I rarely turn the knob anymore because depressing the start button on the right handlebar for a second or two has the same effect. It sound a like a weak fob battery. Also, the required distance from the fob to the receiver is pretty short, and noticeably shorter than my previous non-Honda bikes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Something similar happened to me once when I had it set up to shut off the engine whenever I stopped. She turned off when I stopped, I then turned her off completely. When I went to start her, she was still in "D" and I couldn't switch to neutral. Took a few attempts, but I got her out of D and into N. Not sure the process because I was kinda doing random things in a panic...lol.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Yep.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
No, but I did try a couple Hail Mary's without a positive result. Some #&#*! words didn't help either.
You make fun of the response, but is is a valid one -- at least according to the manual.

page 111

You can also start the engine by the following procedure.

!aMake sure the status of the Honda SMART Key is active (P56) and enter the operating range. (P57)

!bWhile applying the brake lever or pedal firmly, press and hold the start button until engine starts.

uThe steering lock is automatically unlocked at the same time.

On an M6 model,
u The quick engine starting will not operate if the transmission is in gear.
The quick engine starting can be operated by pulling in the clutch lever with the transmission in gear so long as the side stand is raised.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You make fun of the response, but is is a valid one -- at least according to the manual.

page 111

You can also start the engine by the following procedure.

!aMake sure the status of the Honda SMART Key is active (P56) and enter the operating range. (P57)

!bWhile applying the brake lever or pedal firmly, press and hold the start button until engine starts.

uThe steering lock is automatically unlocked at the same time.

On an M6 model,
u The quick engine starting will not operate if the transmission is in gear.
The quick engine starting can be operated by pulling in the clutch lever with the transmission in gear so long as the side stand is raised.
It was a joke. And, I don't need a lecture when asking a question.

And, don't give me the manual quotes. I can read.

Plus, if you read the thread ... there are several different resolutions to my question. Not one ... several. What does that tell you about the bike?

I like this bike, but the electronics, FOB, nav and other things electronic make it less than 'friendly'.

I've ridden bikes for over 50 years. Lots of different brands, models ... but, as BMW, HD, Kawa, and Honda have continued to increase the electronics, the bikes become less rider friendly IMO.

How is it possible to stop a bike in N, screw around with some door to open the gas filler door, then fuel up ... and, go thru the normal procedure to fire up the bike and nada? How is that possible when I've done this procedure many dozens of times with the same bike without any issue? This isn't my first rodeo with a motorcycle.

I'm happy that folks have taken the time to give me advice based on their experiences with the bike. That's what this forum is about. So ... don't lecture me.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
The suggestion to press the start button until the dash lights up might point to a faulty knob start switch. Besides, pressing the start switch twice is both efficient and convenient.

·
Registered
19,219 Posts
Curious as to what electrical type aftermarket items you have added. (foglights, side lights, anything hard wired,led's) Have you spliced in to any wires? It does matter with a CANBUS system

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Curious as to what electrical type aftermarket items you have added. (foglights, side lights, anything hard wired,led's) Have you spliced in to any wires? It does matter with a CANBUS system
None.

But, plan on adding Clearwater LED fronts, and a LED rear light bar, along with LED fogs ... fuse box.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts