·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replace rear shock and top off oil in preload adjuster
Rebuild front forks
Replace front wheel bearings
Replace air filter, adjust cruise control
Check valve clearances (no adjustment needed)
Bike owner allowed to watch and explanation given of each procedure
$287 labor

·
Mad UK Winger
356 Posts
i would break down how long it took.

in the UK its about £50 ($70) an hour so $280 should be 4 hours work, but it depends what the rates are over there.

for 4 or 5 hours i would say fair, if the guy is good, then that work would have been maybe less than 3 hours and then its kinda expensive (for UK anyway).

just my opinion :)

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Labor and pricing is sooooo misunderstood ...a certain job has an assigned
price it charges for the job , usually it's measured in hours. If it takes a technician 30 minutes to replace
the seals in a fork...but it calls for 1.5 hrs labor , take the labor rate and times it by 1.5 ...now if the tech does it in 30 minutes...then it works in his favor and he is making money .

But it still pays 1.5 hrs for the job...dealers hourly rates vary 55-80
bucks an hour.... sometimes the more work you have done...the more they can tweek it IF they want to.

So please don't look at how long it takes the tech to do the work... it has
nothing to do with the bill .

Most shops won't let you stand around in a shop for liability reasons... if something happens...they would be liable for any injury or accident.

Most techs don't want to explain why they are picking up a wrench...and explain why they are banging on your brake calipers...as you'd
have this look the whole time :eek:4: .

Most techs also don't want you standing over them ...would you ?

·
Registered
248 Posts
$87 labor, and $200 to explain to you exactly what he's doing methinks.... Hee hee, :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

John

·
Registered
1,787 Posts

in the UK its about £50 ($70) an hour so $280 should be 4 hours work, but it depends what the rates are over there.

for 4 or 5 hours i would say fair, if the guy is good, then that work would have been maybe less than 3 hours and then its kinda expensive (for UK anyway).

Less than 3 hours, you're joking, right. I don't know a mechanic that can cover that work in no where near 3 hours.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Rebuild front forks
$287 labor
Has this work already been done, or did someone just shoot you this price ?????

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
I made the investment of buying Fred Harmons DVD set and I will do my own and know it was done right.

If time is not a factor, do it yourself and know it was done correctly without having anything else broken that wasn't broke before.

Just my 2 cents worth.

One man can do whatever another can do, provided he has the training and knowledge.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
yes sir

i would take that deal when my bike needs a valve check

most shops i have read about cost that much or more, just for the valve check

and probably another 2 hours for the air filter replacement

$400-$500 would be the bill in lots of places, maybe more

and i figured the bearings and forks were warranty items

·
Mad UK Winger
356 Posts
Less than 3 hours, you're joking, right. I don't know a mechanic that can cover that work in no where near 3 hours.
i did say 'MAYBE' it was just making a point, and not meant to be factual ;)

maybe its better for you guys over the water if i say;

Yes i think thats a fair price, its cheap really for what has been done. but how i always work it out is to 'split it down to hours and times by the hourly rate' to see if its expensive, fair, or cheap.

that better? :D

·
Registered
326 Posts
Charges

Those prices are more that reasonable.

:doorag:

txs, F

·
Registered
342 Posts
Rebuild front forks
$287 labor
So, how long did it take them to do all this work?:shrug:

·
Registered
1,787 Posts

Maybe if I could jump real high, I could jump over the Golden Gate Bridge, but it ain't gonna happen. I could see someone doing the work for 287.00, but not in 3 hours.

·
Mad UK Winger
356 Posts
Maybe if I could jump real high, I could jump over the Golden Gate Bridge, but it ain't gonna happen. I could see someone doing the work for 287.00, but not in 3 hours.
ok ok, you obviously are just out to pick and cannot see the point of the original message, lets just leave it at that hey? i dont want to cause you further strain or headaches :joke::joke::joke:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts