GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should probably post this in the "for sale" forum, but I'll start here

Since my Mom's recent passing, my step-father has decided to possibly get out of riding. He is looking to sell his 08 fully loaded wing(every option) non abs along with his hannigen trailer (maroon to match the bike)
The trailer has every option as well, chrome wheels/chrome hitch etc..etc.. I am trying to get him to send me some pics, but he is a tad busy dealing with other stuff at the moment. I can tell you this, This bike and trailer combo looks just like it did the day it rolled off the showroom floor with maintnance records to boot. I think it currently has 23-25 k on the bike and 6-8 k on the trailer. He would like to sell as a combo, and I thought you nice folks might give us a rough idea of what you folks might think its worth.

thanks for any input that you fine folks here at gl1800 riders have always provided to me in the past, and future

Attachments

·
Registered
559 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Mom.
I can't help with pricing the bike and trailer, as I've never looked into buying a trailer. I'm sure the folks here will steer you in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you warprints!!

I have a good idea for the bike, somewhere in the mid 15's to low 16's , but the trailer has me stumped:shrug:

My step-father is a retired engineer ,and is very, very, very maticulous to the n'th degree when it comes to maitaining his stuff. Did I mention he was maticulous. Oil changed every 4 grand...spark plugs at the recomended interval...same for the air filter...etc...etc...etc...

I once dropped a hot dog on his garage floor and my hot dog got the floor dirty:oops:

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
A Hannigan loaded in excellent condition should bring at least $3,000 to $3,500. As for the bike, I have seen them here (2008) loaded up with 30k miles for $18,000 at Honda dealers.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I once dropped a hot dog on his garage floor and my hot dog got the floor dirty:oops:
WOW!!!!
Well, you didn't mention that he was meticulous! :joke:

I think you're right in line with the bike price(depending on what add-ons are worth to the new owner). No idea on the trailer. I'm guessing in the 3k range, but you might be able to get rid of the trailer easier if it's NOT together with the bike. I don't think I would want to pay extra for a trailer that I don't want/need/have a place for if all I wanted was the well-maintained bike with low mileage. If you can still get the extended warranty on the bike, or if it has the extended warranty, that's an added bonus a lot are willing to pay extra for.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I knew as soon as I hit enter that I misspelled meticulous:oops: (damn public schools...lol)

I'm actually trying to talk him out of selling the bike, and maybe just get rid of his trailer. Other than riding, my Mom was really the one thing that we had in common. Now that she is gone, I would like to continue to ride on some trips together.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
hvacguy: This has nothing to do with selling the bike, however when my father passed my mother made one of the best decisions I think she ever made. Other than taking care of what needed done she made no decisions for almost a year then the shock and emotions were less involved with the decision making. Holding onto the bike for a while might work here. JMHO. Also sorry for your loss it's never easy.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Tell Dad not to make any rash decisions during this time.
I know he's going to feel alone and not going to enjoy much for a period of time.
If he and mom had a passion for riding, I'm sure mom would not want him to give that up yet!
With God's help, it will become more tolerable as time passes although there will still be times of great sadness about losing your partner.
I'm almost positive the joy of riding will return, especially being with his son(you) on some of these rides.
This is not a real good time, due to the economy, to try to sell a nice bike/trailer but, there's always a Chance someone wants that very combo.

Cruiseman
While I'm sure you have seen 08's for that price at dealers, I can also assure you that unless the buyers know absolutely nothing about bike values right now, those bikes are not going out the door for anywhere near $18K unless they are brand new left overs!

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the input.

I agree with you, and I am trying my best to not let him make any "rush" knee jerk decisions. Right now, he is just very alone. Like I said earlier, I think he should let the trailer go, and keep the bike, but this is his call.

I appreciate everyones input on this subject. It is comforting to know that there are good folks out there when you need a hand

rick

·
Registered
812 Posts
I recently purchased on 08 (non-comfort) with 7k miles for $15,100.

It had at least $1200 in aftermarket chrome on it at time of purchase.

It was still under factory warranty, so I spent another $500 to extend it.

My purchase was from an individual, not a dealer.

This doesn't mean much about what your father's is worth, but the market does dictate conditions.

Condolences, and I would echo the sentiments of others... No big decisions for a while if you can talk him into it. Things will change.

jason

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Sorry about the circumstances of the sale.

I'm thinkin $16k-17k for the bike and $3-4k for the trailer. Price it under $20,000 to sell it. Price it more than that to sit on it for awhile.

As an aside... and it's none of my business... I'd recommend waiting to sell it after the emotions settle a bit. After the grief gets to a manageable level, riding may just be what the doctor ordered, so to speak.

Again, sorry for your loss. :cry:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts