GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Read Only
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friend of mine had his fork seals replaced, and a left radiator hose replaced. Parts was $54, and labor was $1200. Shop said it took their 20 year experienced mechanic 60 hours to perform the work. This was on a 2003 GL1800 with CSC trike kit. This sounds excessive to me. I know techs that can pull the engine, rebuild it, and put it back in less than 60 hours. What do you guys think about the labor charge?

Stan

·
Registered
130 Posts
Can you spell H-O-S-E-D?

Fork seals replaced at local shop cost <$200 in labor.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
bamaTrider said:
Friend of mine had his fork seals replaced, and a left radiator hose replaced. Parts was $54, and labor was $1200. Shop said it took their 20 year experienced mechanic 60 hours to perform the work. This was on a 2003 GL1800 with CSC trike kit. This sounds excessive to me. I know techs that can pull the engine, rebuild it, and put it back in less than 60 hours. What do you guys think about the labor charge?

Stan
Are you sure you didn't get the hours and dollars mixed up? How about 20 hours at $60/hr? $20 per hour would be REALLY cheap for a Honda dealer.

Regardless, $1200 for replacing fork seals and a radiator hose is excessive.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I certainly wished I knew where in northern Alabama so I can make certain I don't ever stop in at THAT dealers place of business. I'm really uncertain about how difficult or long this stuff takes, but that sounds excessive to me.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Your friend apparently didn't tell you "the rest of the story"!

20 hours / $60.00 per hour / NOT a HONDA dealer.

While your friend may have been hosed, he made the choice to have work done on a bike that is not the easiest to work on by a "novice". It seems your friend paid for "on the job" training for the tech.

And while OTJ training might be a little excessive - you need to weigh the experience of the mechanic to do work on a motorcycle AND the knowledge to work on a high end bike. Whether that be a GoldWing, BMW, or HD Ultra.

Think of it this way - say your friend had a HD Ultra and took it to a Honda/Yami/Kawi dealer where the techs worked on those bikes day in and day out (and let's "assume" there is an HD dealer down the road) and he expects those mechanics to work on his HD! Same issue - while they may be GREAT mechanics in their comfort zone - working on a HD would be an on the job training for them (even if they worked on a FEW each year - it isn't the same as their usual bikes).

·
Registered
271 Posts
Bike Work

20 hours is enough time to eat a GW...radiator hose can be more time consuming than fork seals in some cases...depends on which hose was changed...but no way this much time...I would ask for some of my $$$ back...fair is fair...honest is honest...

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hosed is Hosed............ :crew:

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
60 hours? That is 6 days at 10 hours a day! Or about 7.5 8 hour days....that is essential a week and a half of work days.

I donn't hink so....hell I could learn to do it myself and I suspect it might take me one day to learn to do it....not 6-7 days!

·
Read Only
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Am I allowed to reveal the shops name w/o getting in to legal trouble or violating board rules? If so, I would be more than glad to warn you where not to go for work.

He normally had work done at the CSC (California Sidecar) dealer in Birmingham, Al area, but they closed shop. The local Honda dealer would not touch it because of the trike conversion, which I don't understand because all of the work was on the front of the bike, not on the rear where the trike kit is. This was the only shop (Victory dealer) in the area that would do work on his trike. I encouraged him to go back and complain. He did and the owner says it was a fair charge for 60 hours work. I don't dis-agree with that. I do dis-agree with the amount of time spent. The hose that was replaced attached to the left radiator I think, but that is all I know. Needless to say, non of us in AL will be doing business with these guys.

Stan

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Before that kind of time and charge was racked up, there should have been a lot of COMMUNICATION between the shop and your friend. I've got a feeling that the judge at small claims court would feel that way, as well...

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Bama,

Correct me if I am wrong. Did not your friend , take the Goldwing to a Non Honda/Goldwing Dealer to get this work done?

I think this is what he reported in his thread.

I could be wrong, I have been before!

Bulldog

·
Registered
19,050 Posts
When leaving a vehicle don't you get an estimate???

Your friend was ripped off

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi All - - yep, I'm the friend who owns the trike

It was 20 hours @ the usual shop charge of $60.00

Yes bulldog - - I took it to a non-Honda shop because it was local and they work on trikes (of all brands)
Told me they were experienced at working on Gold Wing/ Calif Side Car trikes and had repaired my friends GW/CSC trike.

My intention in letting them do these two things (that a Honda dealer would have done) was to establish a working relationship with a local repair shop that could repair my trike and not have to go to Georgia when repairs were necessary

They did call me within two weeks and told me they had the Wing taken apart and had $600.00 in labor in it.
What you going to do then ?! I thought surely they had spent most of their labor time on it and perhaps a couple of hundred dollars to put it back together. That was wrong on my part.

Anyway - - I'm probably going to take the trike to our Gold Wing dealer for Gold Wing repair (that I don't do myself) and to Georgia to the CSC dealer for trike repair.
So far that hasn't been any trike kit repair necessary.

Hope this explains the situation better

And, I have learned my lesson - - I won't take my Harley to that shop either !! :D

·
Registered
19,050 Posts
I once had an emergency in Laredo TX and took the wing to the closest bike shop,(Harley dealer) He told me he doesn't work on Jap bikes after telling him where it was made I hobbled down to a Suzuki dealer he did a 5 minute fix and said no charge but you can tip the mechanic what you want(he spoke no Enlish)I flipped him a ten and rode off

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
GO AFTER THIS GUY WITH ALL YOUR RESOURCES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Get the Honda shop to give you the hours in the book for doing what you had done and send it to him certified mail via your lawyer. This will get his attention, then call him and tell him what you are prepared to do, file a civil case, put his name on the internet, yes you can do it as long as what you state is TRUE, just make sure to include what the Honda dealer would have charged you and what this shop charged you. If you allow him to get away with it he will most assuredly do it to someone else. YOU SHOULD GET AT LEAST HALF OF YOUR $ BACK If not more. Also call the Better Business Bureau and report him. JMHO

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
laen said:
I once had an emergency in Laredo TX and took the wing to the closest bike shop,(Harley dealer) He told me he doesn't work on Jap bikes ....
At least he was honest with you and didn't screw up your bike even more. It's good that a low-technology mechanic knows his limits and admits he isn't qualified to work on a high-technology American-made "Jap bike". Anyway, it looks to me like he did you a big favor. :wink:

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
I would have done it for the cost of lunch. Next time just come on over to my place. :wink:

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
If they gave him a estimate and he still had it done, Well- What can you say! :roll:

Call around and get estimates. Then get a written estimate when you pick a shop,

And every shop will say "Sure, we've worked on those bikes before" :lol: Buyer Beware!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts