GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There! I've said it!
Everybody knows it!
What have some of you guys done to remedy it?
The mirror on the left side is smooth as glass (pun intended.)
The one on the right vibrates so bad at 65 mph, I can't tell if it's a Mini-Cooper behind me or a Peterbuilt!

And yes, the screw holding it in is tight, as is all the othner screws underneath the rubber cover and the "pivot joint" is in good condition too.

I've tried longer mounting screws, washers, rubber grommets, foam inserts behind the mirror.... nothing seems to work.

If they can make a tv or movie camera work (think steady cam) then someone ought to be able to make these *[email protected]#$%^&*() mirrors buzz free!

This problem has existed since my 1981 Gold Wing Interstate!

Any suggestions out there in Gold Wing land?

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
It appears you have an 07. I havent heard of this problem on the board. It should still be under warranty, i would take it back to the stealer.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Perhaps the right side of your tires are out of balance... :shrug:

The mirrors on the Goldwing truly impressed me because of the clarity of the image at all speeds.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I never saw that problem on my '87 Interstate nor on my current '02 ABS. Sorry.

IMHO, the mirrors on my '02 are the best I've had on a motorcycle. Rock solid and never need adjusting.

Perhaps you need to cut down on the caffeine... :twisted: Sorry, had to tease.

·
Registered
884 Posts
My '03 does it too. It happens mostly on rough roads. I just live with it but you could try putting some various sizes of stick-on wheel weights on the back of the mirror. Maybe the right amount of weight would cancel out the vibration.
Ralph Wenzl

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
There! I've said it!
Everybody knows it!
What have some of you guys done to remedy it?
The one on the right vibrates so bad at 65 mph, I can't tell if it's a Mini-Cooper behind me or a Peterbuilt!
Only other time I have seen anything like this was with a Pilot. He was taught when passangers got nervous because of something was haywire to sweat only on the left side of his face.

Actually, if you can only see it with one mirror, its a Mini-Cooper......If its visable in both mirrors, its a Peterbuilt.
:shrug:

·
Registered
898 Posts
A little buzz here, a little buzz there..

I get a little vibration in my right mirror also (07 model). I've tightened the bolt also but it had no effect. It bugged me until I recalled the mirrors on my 99 1500. Compared to those mirrors, the 1800 mirrors are just as steady and clear as the one in my bathroom. Like others in this thread, I think you have a warranty claim and I would do it sooner than later...the longer you wait, the more likely the dealer/Honda will call it "wear and tear" and...:wrong:

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Actually, if you can only see it with one mirror, its a Mini-Cooper......If its visable in both mirrors, its a Peterbuilt.
:shrug:
That was funny.

I have always had some vibration in my mirror, but it has nothing to do with it being fairing mounted. Handlebar mounted mirrors are far worse.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Sometimes this board really pisses me off. Just when I was happy with the way my bike was running, now you guys are going to make me want to go out and try to find out why mine vibrate. I hate when that happens.:cry:;)

·
Soon to be Former Member
7,733 Posts
Maybe it's your right eye that's vibrating and not the mirror. Switch eyeballs and see what happens.

BTW> I don't have this issue on my 07. Take it to the dealer if the eyeball swap doesn't work.

B

·
0 Posts
I can't tell if you are bragging or complaining...Maybe you should convert to a trike so that BOTH mirrors will vibrate equally.
...I'm just kidding guys

·
Registered
194 Posts
Fairing mounted mirrors SUCK! (NOT)

I have to disagree with the statement that fairing mounted mirrors suck. This is the first bike I've owned that has them and compared to all the other handlebar mounted mirrors I've had, I have to say these are superior. That said, they are not perfect. I have an '07 Premium/Comfort/Navi and both of my mirrors vibrate a tiny bit. I imagine that I could spend countless hours isolating the cause and fix it or even give the bike to the dealer for a week and maybe that would fix the problem. Maybe not.

It's spring in New England, I think I'll ride instead...winter's comin'!

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
There is one known problem to check. When the bike is shipped from the factory, it is without the mirrors attached. They are installed by a pimply faced teenager making $10 and hour.

Make sure the three bolts under the rubber trim cover are tight.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I don't have or notice this problem on my '03.

I'm very comfortable with the mirror's and haven't adjusted them since new.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
You want to see mirrors vibrate go ride a V-twin with stem mounted mirrors................

·
Registered
20,945 Posts
at 198,000 one of my bikes mirrors was vibrating a little but i can't remember which mirror it was, even with the vibration i could still see the traffic just fine
in my case the vibration was caused by the driveshaft, the little needle bearings were falling out, Honda replaced the driveshaft under warranty, no more vibration

·
Registered
141 Posts
One of mine vibrated a little. When I installed LED turn signal lights on them, I found the 3 screws under the rubber trim were all loose.:roll:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts