GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My front fairing pockets have been getting really hot.

I have a metal torch in the right hand one and it gets really hot. The left one I keep my wallet in whilst travelling.

The fix?

I went to an auto store and purchased some very expensive heat resistant tape. (silver stuff with a sticky back), has a glass type compound weave in it.

I have placed this over the bottoms and sides of both pockets and completed a one hour ride. The results are amazing, both pockets are cold!

What happens to your Ipods etc when they get hot? I was worried about my credit cards.

Trev.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Cool! I mean NOT HOT...well, I know what I mean.
Thanks Trev.
With everything taken apart right now on the new 07,
I will follow your lead and insulate the bottoms of those pockets.
Now, if I didn't know where you were from,
I' have told you to "turn off that torch" to cut down on the heat.
Over here a torch is for heating things up,
not for providing a light,
Like you would use over there in the dark,
to follow the trail of empty Fosters cans to the Zoo,
to catch the drunk trying to molest the Roos. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
DC

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:lol: :lol: Gotta love the language differences!

The pockets were removed from the bike and the tape was placed on the outside. I used a petrol damped rag (gasoline?) to clean them so the tape would stick properly.

Cheers,

Trev.

·
Registered
21,061 Posts
my granola bars are always getting melted so will give this a try, anyone have any recomendations for some good insulating tape available here in the USA ?

I

·
0 Posts
Try "cap tape". The foam tape used on a pickup truck to protect the top rails when mounting a cap. Being foam, it should make a pretty good insulator. Sticky on one side, plastic film on the other. Comes in different widths, but the most common is about 2". (about 51mm for you Aussies) :lol:

Now to go grill steaks on my Aussie Bushman grill, that I bought at Menards a few weeks ago. Might even drink a pint or two. Ain't life grand!

Happy 4th everyone. God Bless America!!!!!!!!!

Ride safe.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bartlettracing said:
http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/hd_heat_shield_tape.php
Thats the stuff. It needs to be thin to get the pocket back. Also if you have any cable grommets it is easy to reinstall them.

Trev.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts