GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I bit and mounted a Falken before embarking on our west coast tour last couple of weeks. The wear was great, hardly noticable in 5300 miles of very hot running pulling an Aspen Classic camper. Now before you start, I have pulled the Aspen many, many miles using Bridgstones, so I know how to load it and pull it correctly. The trailer pulls very well.

I noticed two thing about the CT that was a little concerning for me.

First, in higher speed curves (60-75 MPH) I felt a little too much of what I suspect is side wall flex, causing a slight tail wiggle.

Second, the square profile tends to "climb" truck tire grooves or "overlaps" in pavement worse than the BS.

Am I alone in noticing these or do others find similar issues?

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
No that sounds about right. The Falken was my first C/T. I have never pulled a trailer so I don't know how that effects things. Did you try playing with the tire pressure any?

·
DSI Keeper
9,169 Posts
Second on the TP. With the wear you are getting, I would say you are running the tire on the soft side. This particular tire likes to be pumped up. Downside of that is that wears out the center faster.

·
Registered
973 Posts
What Murgie said.
MM

·
Premium Member
31,972 Posts
OK, I bit and mounted a Falken before embarking on our west coast tour last couple of weeks. The wear was great, hardly noticable in 5300 miles of very hot running pulling an Aspen Classic camper. Now before you start, I have pulled the Aspen many, many miles using Bridgstones, so I know how to load it and pull it correctly. The trailer pulls very well.

I noticed two thing about the CT that was a little concerning for me.

First, in higher speed curves (60-75 MPH) I felt a little too much of what I suspect is side wall flex, causing a slight tail wiggle.

Second, the square profile tends to "climb" truck tire grooves or "overlaps" in pavement worse than the BS.

Am I alone in noticing these or do others find similar issues?
What psi ?? 44 works great for me !!

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
It's all about the PSIs!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Based on some posts here, I have the tire at 37-39 PSI. It rides great but may need more air for 2 up and trailer?

·
Registered
608 Posts
I run 44 in mine and pull a trailer. I played with the air pressure and found that at lower pressures.. below 42 the tire responded like yours. i would up the pressure at least to 42 or 44.:doorag:

·
Registered
353 Posts
I run 44 in mine and pull a trailer. I played with the air pressure and found that at lower pressures.. below 42 the tire responded like yours. i would up the pressure at least to 42 or 44.:doorag:
:agree:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts