GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some questions to all Falken (914) riders :

yesterday I did around 85 mph on the highway in a long left when the rear end of the Wing started to wobble a bit. Nothing extreme, but new. The Avon never did that, so :

1. Did that happen to you Falken riders as well?
2. Are you running the tire at, above or below 42 psi ?
3. Do you also enjoy a spirited riding style with higher speeds, lots of twisties, alone or 2 up?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
I am not familiar with the 914, but am with the 912. Being a runflat, it takes more pressure to support the sidewalls. The aggressive twistie riders I am familiar with run the 912 at 44 - 45 psi. Not sure what pressure you are running, but make sure it has sufficient pressure to support its sidewalls.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I had to Google the 914, its a low rolling resistance tire. The only Falken I have used is the 912. I ride spirited 2up with 47psi, never experienced a wobble at any speed. I would try adding more air as Elrod suggested.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Is it the tire

My question would be, Is it the tire causing the wobble?

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
Some questions to all Falken (914) riders :

yesterday I did around 85 mph on the highway in a long left when the rear end of the Wing started to wobble a bit. Nothing extreme, but new. The Avon never did that, so :

1. Did that happen to you Falken riders as well?
2. Are you running the tire at, above or below 42 psi ?
3. Do you also enjoy a spirited riding style with higher speeds, lots of twisties, alone or 2 up?

Thanks
Is tyre balanced ?
Check tire real carefully for a broken belt or a bulge in side also.
Never ran a 914 but I have ran a great deal of the 912's
A low rolling resistance tyre has never worked for me .
Like how I spelled tire for ya ?? :lol:

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Is tyre balanced ?
Check tire real carefully for a broken belt or a bulge in side also.
Never ran a 914 but I have ran a great deal of the 912's
A low rolling resistance tyre has never worked for me .
Like how I spelled tire for ya ?? :lol:
You spelled it right :lol: :thumbup:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Falken pro

I am not familiar with the 914, but am with the 912. Being a runflat, it takes more pressure to support the sidewalls. The aggressive twistie riders I am familiar with run the 912 at 44 - 45 psi. Not sure what pressure you are running, but make sure it has sufficient pressure to support its sidewalls.

Elrod, how does that Falken Pro compare to the 912 ziex , I think tires-easy still had some of the 912s.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Elrod, how does that Falken Pro compare to the 912 ziex , I think tires-easy still had some of the 912s.
Spent a couple of weekends putting it through the paces. From my uncertified seat it has worked just fine, but it does feel a bit different from the 912. Not bad at all, just different. It is too early to tell, but it also appears to wear good. We shall see as it goes through its life.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Falken pro

Spent a couple of weekends putting it through the paces. From my uncertified seat it has worked just fine, but it does feel a bit different from the 912. Not bad at all, just different. It is too early to tell, but it also appears to wear good. We shall see as it goes through its life.

Thanks brother, I'm needing a new tire andthought I'd try something different.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Just finished a bit of a Falken ordeal. Was travelling on a hot day, super slab, when the bike picked up a big wobble/shimmy. Pulled over, checked tires, nothing obvious. Limped home many miles by going slower/right lane/flashers and the shop confirmed that my rear was shot. I'm adding this for two quick reasons-one is to describe the failure as feeling like a shimmy, like a flat but tire held pressure and to the eye on the side of the road felt and looked okay. Got it up at the shop on the lift and the whole tire was squirrely. Belt broke or something? The other thing I want to add is that I put on the Michelin Alpin that many are touting on here. Well, one word would describe it. FANTASTIC. Even better ride than my Kumho by a lot and even better than the Falken which I thought rode a LOT more like a MC tire. The Alpin is a RF AND feels great. No standing up like the Kumho, flickable (as much as I flick) like a MC.

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
I would be interested in final results . Have not even seen a Pro yet . Will look at next free moment . I need a NRF replacement . Like the Yokohama NRF but I need the rim protection it does not have to satisfy my concerns .

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
Just finished a bit of a Falken ordeal. Was travelling on a hot day, super slab, when the bike picked up a big wobble/shimmy. Pulled over, checked tires, nothing obvious. Limped home many miles by going slower/right lane/flashers and the shop confirmed that my rear was shot. I'm adding this for two quick reasons-one is to describe the failure as feeling like a shimmy, like a flat but tire held pressure and to the eye on the side of the road felt and looked okay. Got it up at the shop on the lift and the whole tire was squirrely. Belt broke or something? The other thing I want to add is that I put on the Michelin Alpin that many are touting on here. Well, one word would describe it. FANTASTIC. Even better ride than my Kumho by a lot and even better than the Falken which I thought rode a LOT more like a MC tire. The Alpin is a RF AND feels great. No standing up like the Kumho, flickable (as much as I flick) like a MC.
I have ran 13 912's and things happen to tires , all tires . None of the 13 ever had an issue . Still my favorite NRF to date . Sad to see it discontinued .

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
I would be interested in final results . Have not even seen a Pro yet . Will look at next free moment . I need a NRF replacement . Like the Yokohama NRF but I need the rim protection it does not have to satisfy my concerns .
Here are some pics to compare. From left to right: Falken ZIEX 612, Falken G4 A/S, Pirelli Cinturato P7 RF, Yokohama AVID ENVigor ZPS.
photo 1.jpg

612 and G4 side-by-side:
photo 4.jpg photo 6.jpg

·
Special Administrator "Internal Affairs" To Facili
6,943 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts

·
Special Administrator "Internal Affairs" To Facili
6,943 Posts
Boomer!!! Hey Buddy, What kind of mileage are you getting out of the Yoko?

Sully, It depends on how I ride. I have gotten less than 10K out of one and the one I have on now has about 16K on it. Murgie and Ohiowinger tend to make me wear my tires out quickly. :lol: You have to remember, I have wore out MC tires before in less than 4K. :nojoke: I am trying to slow my pace down now days. But I really enjoy the company of Murgie and Ohiowinger. :eek:4:

I believe some have reported of 20-30K on a Yoko. OH YES!! I did wear out an Alpin just as quick. I hope I answered your question good enough Sully.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts