GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok is the falken 195/55-16 ZEIX ZE-912 a good choice of tire for goldwing 1800 thats been lowered 1''? getting ready to try again to darkside. Thanks in advance for comments.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have about 6000 miles on mine and am very happy. It is my first CT so I can't compare it to any other CTs/

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Ok is the falken 195/55-16 ZEIX ZE-912 a good choice of tire for goldwing 1800 thats been lowered 1''? getting ready to try again to darkside. Thanks in advance for comments.
This is a loaded question opened up for personal opinions. I will say it does handle real close to MC tire. Others will tell you to run nothin but a run flat for safety . It's your call as well as it should be. Kumho is my choice for run flat by the way. Good luck and please guys do not start another pissing contest again.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
trell, it may be time to "Fish or Cut Bait". This question has been asked before and it appears a number of folks are running the 195/55-16 size on a 1" lowered wing. So is it time to put the pole in the water?;)

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
This is a loaded question opened up for personal opinions. I will say it does handle real close to MC tire. Others will tell you to run nothin but a run flat for safety . It's your call as well as it should be. Kumho is my choice for run flat by the way. Good luck and please guys do not start another pissing contest again.
:agree:100%

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK got it ordered last nite from discountire.com should be here beginning of the wk. Any advise on tire psi or other thing that i could use would be a great help. I assume i can put this on by laying bike down as i did with other tires. try this once before got a hi spd wobble but i'm going to give it another try.THANKS

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I have 9,000 on mine, 8,200 of it on a recent trip to the west coast from Maine and I love it. It is a personal choice. This is my first CT so I don't have anything else to compare it to except a MT and there IS NO COMPARISION in my humble opinion. :yes1:

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
OK got it ordered last nite from discountire.com should be here beginning of the wk. Any advise on tire psi or other thing that i could use would be a great help. I assume i can put this on by laying bike down as i did with other tires. try this once before got a hi spd wobble but i'm going to give it another try.THANKS
44 psi works for me just fine. Yes tip it over like I do cows here in Wi. If you do not like it give me a shout and I will take it off your hands.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
44 psi works for me just fine. Yes tip it over like I do cows here in Wi. If you do not like it give me a shout and I will take it off your hands.
Thanks if it doesn't work out,i'll keep you in mind.

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Thanks if it doesn't work out,i'll keep you in mind.
Oh it will work I have only bought one and have made this claim many,many times.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Oh it will work I have only bought one and have made this claim many,many times.
Or lived in the wrong area of the country...:lol::lol:

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tire update

Got my tire today, took my extra rear rim mounted tire on it, put 3oz of A/Z in it. While i was doing it i changed brake pad, rear end gear oil. then time to put the tire on it was a tight fit but after i bolted all up and torque the lug nut. look like the room will be ok. 42 psi , went for a short 6 mile ride t the small town here. Rode well i think i'm going to like it.SMOOTH , SMOOTH ,AND MORE SMOOOOOTH. Something odd happen tho. My center stand, a ride off never did work right, the com. said it was because i lowered the bike, now it works. The ride seem a little soft think i put a couple #of air more in it. Will try to put a 500 miles on it this week? then i'd like to apply for a dark side no. and sticker to whom will i have to do this. THANK YOU ALL FOR THE WONDERFUL HELP.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Got my tire today, took my extra rear rim mounted tire on it, put 3oz of A/Z in it. While i was doing it i changed brake pad, rear end gear oil. then time to put the tire on it was a tight fit but after i bolted all up and torque the lug nut. look like the room will be ok. 42 psi , went for a short 6 mile ride t the small town here. Rode well i think i'm going to like it.SMOOTH , SMOOTH ,AND MORE SMOOOOOTH. Something odd happen tho. My center stand, a ride off never did work right, the com. said it was because i lowered the bike, now it works. The ride seem a little soft think i put a couple #of air more in it. Will try to put a 500 miles on it this week? then i'd like to apply for a dark side no. and sticker to whom will i have to do this. THANK YOU ALL FOR THE WONDERFUL HELP.
Congrats trell. The Falken handles well. Murgie has the DS numbers and TJranch has the decals.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
If you give Rail32 a holler, and head up Wisconsin way, you can pick you up some Darksider cookies!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Welcome to the club!:congrats:

·
DSI Keeper
9,159 Posts
Congrats Trell! If anyone was asked to describe in one word about the tire, it would be that, smooth!

The Falken is a great tire. Had the pleasure of taking one for a spin this spring.

I will send you a PM here shortly. :congrats:

·
Registered
9,393 Posts

Since you asked: No, in my opinion.

While it is a better tire than any motto tire you can get for it, it lacks the ability to support the weight of the bike should it lose all its air in a rapid manner, thus leaving you stranded on the side of the road or worse.

A better/safer tire would be any of the run flats out there, especially if you ride the Wing like a touring bike or 2-up and/or pull a trailer.

On a side note: Why did you lower your Wing? I have a 28" inseam and have zero problems even with a suspension upgrade.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Since you asked: No, in my opinion.

While it is a better tire than any motto tire you can get for it, it lacks the ability to support the weight of the bike should it lose all its air in a rapid manner, thus leaving you stranded on the side of the road or worse.

A better/safer tire would be any of the run flats out there, especially if you ride the Wing like a touring bike or 2-up and/or pull a trailer.

On a side note: Why did you lower your Wing? I have a 28" inseam and have zero problems even with a suspension upgrade.
If this tire does ok without wobble at high speed, i will try a rf.Sometimes this wk. i'll get out the racing leather,ff helmet, and head for parkway to see the triple digits in straight line. I lowered the wing because i wasn't comfortable i'm 5'7'' 29'' inseem 180#.I have always rode a bike that when i sat on it my legs were bent.I know that the higher the bike ride the more lean angle. The wing is also a wide bike that make straddle way out for me. I'd love to try to perfect my ride in curves but the MRS is behind me she like the more easy ride.She says i'm getting to old to act like that and it set a bad example for our grandson.

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
If this tire does ok without wobble at high speed, i will try a rf.Sometimes this wk. i'll get out the racing leather,ff helmet, and head for parkway to see the triple digits in straight line. I lowered the wing because i wasn't comfortable i'm 5'7'' 29'' inseem 180#.I have always rode a bike that when i sat on it my legs were bent.I know that the higher the bike ride the more lean angle. The wing is also a wide bike that make straddle way out for me. I'd love to try to perfect my ride in curves but the MRS is behind me she like the more easy ride.She says i'm getting to old to act like that and it set a bad example for our grandson.
Sit on a 2012 :thumbup: as far as setting bad example ??? There are plenty worse things you could be doing right ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts