GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a Falken 912 mounted today. The shop put the side marked "inside" on the left, or lug nut side, of the wheel. The guy at the shop knew it was for a motorcycle, and figuring the right rear on most cars is the pulling wheel, mounted it that way. I don't believe mounting direction really matters when the 912 is used on motorcycle, but am not sure. Wifey and I are leaving for a Key West trip this Saturday and I don't want any problems. Have any of you used this tire and mounted it this way?

I only have a few miles on this tire and I am a Dark side virgin, but so far I don't see the big deal. If I hadn't known it was back there, I wouldn't have known it. I had it up to 100mph, no problem. A little more input in the low speed turns if I noticed anything at all.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
355 Posts
If you mounted two Falkens on a car, the words "Inside" would face each other. So it doesn't matter which side on a motorcycle is Inside. Mine is on the right because the installer looked at the rim and mounted it that way. An they did know it was for a motorcycle because I told them it was.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Yes:agree:. I mounted mine with the outside to the left.:thumbup:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, after doing a search and then a post on this matter, I figured what the heck, and went back to the tire shop and had them reverse the Falken. 1 hour of my labor and $10 for the change and now my Falken is mounted like most all on this site. The side marked "outside" is now on the lugnut, or left side of my Wing.:lol:

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
What tire pressure are you running?I just got home from a 6100 mile trip two up on the same tire, and noticed more center wear at 40 psi.I'am thinking of dropping to 38 psi.Good luck,it's a great tire.

Barry
If you drop below 42PSI riding in twisties you will be in
big trouble real soon unless you ride like an (old blue
hair)

Us people riding on the Falken do so because we push
the Wing so hard in corners that the extra unsprung
wieght of a run flat makes the Wing handle like a total
piece of junk. We don't care if it wears the center out
a little early, we are using it for the edges, not the
centers..;)

IMO if you,I or anyone is riding 60% straight roads
the run flat is better choice. Also if you or anyone is not
testing the ragged edge of the limits of the Wing in the
twisties a run flat is a better choice. Anyone not pushing
a Wing hard enough to feel the extra unspung wieght of
a run flat should use a run flat. A run flat is only
dangerours when the Wing is pushed to it's limits and
most Wing riders don't even come close to the Wings
limits. (most just think they do") LOL" :roll:

Enjoy what ever tire you choose to ride on" :thumbup:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What tire pressure are you running?I just got home from a 6100 mile trip two up on the same tire, and noticed more center wear at 40 psi.I'am thinking of dropping to 38 psi.Good luck,it's a great tire.

Barry
I am going to follow Chuck's advice, seems he has a lot of experience with the CT, and start at 44PSI. I believe we will both be happy with it.

By the way, I'm a Barry too.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Not trying to tell you guys what pressure to run in the Falken but @ 44 psi it will wear out prematurely in the center. I ran my Falken at 44 and it didn't last too awful long pushing it hard.

If you are so inclined you might want to consider raising the pressure to 44 only for twisty riding and lower it to 40 (maybe a little less) on the slab. Then again, it is not an expensive tire so you won't be out much. Good luck with whatever you decide.

BTW, that Falken is a good handling twisties tire at 44.

·
Premium Member
31,972 Posts
If you drop below 42PSI riding in twisties you will be in
big trouble real soon unless you ride like an (old blue
hair)

Us people riding on the Falken do so because we push
the Wing so hard in corners that the extra unsprung
wieght of a run flat makes the Wing handle like a total
piece of junk. We don't care if it wears the center out
a little early, we are using it for the edges, not the
centers..;)

IMO if you,I or anyone is riding 60% straight roads
the run flat is better choice. Also if you or anyone is not
testing the ragged edge of the limits of the Wing in the
twisties a run flat is a better choice. Anyone not pushing
a Wing hard enough to feel the extra unspung wieght of
a run flat should use a run flat. A run flat is only
dangerours when the Wing is pushed to it's limits and
most Wing riders don't even come close to the Wings
limits. (most just think they do") LOL" :roll:

Enjoy what ever tire you choose to ride on" :thumbup:
:thumbup:Yep

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Not trying to tell you guys what pressure to run in the Falken but @ 44 psi it will wear out prematurely in the center. I ran my Falken at 44 and it didn't last too awful long pushing it hard.

If you are so inclined you might want to consider raising the pressure to 44 only for twisty riding and lower it to 40 (maybe a little less) on the slab. Then again, it is not an expensive tire so you won't be out much. Good luck with whatever you decide.

BTW, that Falken is a good handling twisties tire at 44.
:agree: That's a money saver right there!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts