GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just baught a Falkin 205/60/16.........Has any one tried to get a tire this size on the back of thire 1800.........I have a spare rim and a new tire.....I'll give it a push and see what happens....If you have tried and it wont fit then give me a call and save me the trobel....305-879-0761...e [email protected] Thanks Dave.Marathon Florida

·
Registered
14 Posts
do us a favor and tell us if it fits. There has been much speculation as to the largest size we can use. Most bets are that the 205/50/16 is the largest. Try inflating it after the wheel is it is mounted on the bike.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Let the air out before you try to push it up in there. :roll:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Falkin..205...60...16

I think the problem is going to be the distance between the tire side wall and the swing arm....My guess is that its going to have about one half inch....I'm putting the tire on the rim in the morning. Dave

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Faulkin 205

I'm also wondering if the tire will rub on the awing arm in hard left hand turns.....car steel belted raidals tend to slide back and forth a little to enabel the tred to stay flat on the ground. It may fit but that dosent mean its going to work....Dave

·
Registered
582 Posts
A 55 series has about 3/8 in clearance on each side after installation (on my 02), without the inner fender being tied back. If you are not using a MC jack, use a ratchett strap or something to keep the bike from rolling forward off of the centerstand. Pushing from the rear could be hazardous!

I also would like to know if it fits.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am too, interested in what the largest size of car tire can be mounted. I am ready to replace my worn out stone and looking for a less harsh ride for my S.O. Thanks

O

·
0 Posts
Re: Faulkin 205

flydeep said:
I'm also wondering if the tire will rub on the awing arm in hard left hand turns.....car steel belted raidals tend to slide back and forth a little to enabel the tred to stay flat on the ground. It may fit but that dosent mean its going to work....Dave
When I used a car tire on Valkyrie Interstate a few years ago, the
clearance between swingarm and tire was width of two credit cards.
I expected that it would rub. A year later there was no indication that
it had ever rubbed.

·
Registered
358 Posts
>"width of two credit cards. I expected that it would rub."

You mean the thickness? Like as in less than 1/16"??

Ken H>

O

·
0 Posts
KenH said:
>"width of two credit cards. I expected that it would rub."

You mean the thickness? Like as in less than 1/16"??

Ken H>
Yes, the thickness of the two cards. I expected it would rub also but
kept watching it over the year and not a mark ever appeared on the
tire.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Falkin 205-60-16

Ok..I've got the tire mounted on the wheel and bolted it to an extra swing arm I have here in the shop. Lots of clearnce on the sides...and about 1/4 inch before it touches the front part of the swing arm. No problem so far. Lots of room. The tire I'm useing is a Falkin ZIEX ZE 512 I picked it becuse it just looked like it would fit and I like the tred becuse I think it will run in rain very well. The tire is also very soft to the touch. Stickiy rubber. I'll balance the wheel tomorow and slide it up between the bags. Thanks for the advice on the ratchet strap to keep my wing from going down. :oops: Thank You very..very much...Nice simpel idea. DEave

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Falkin Tire

By the way...The tire sild on to the rim with out any trobel...A little lube and it just went right on....but I wouldent want to take it off just to see the inside again...Dave

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gears

The origanel tire had to turn about 860 times to travel 1 mile.....this tire will only need to turn 790 times to cover the same mile....may make a nicer feel to the rev line...Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts