GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know when the best dates for viewing the fall colors in the Asheville and West N.C. area is. Also will I have to make motel reservations or will I be able to find rooms as I travel. I've never been there during season. And last'ly what can I expect to pay for a motel like Best Western status.
Thanks Wolfer

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
They say ( yeah them) that the first two weeks in October is the best for the Smokey Mnt area, but be advised, hotels are at a premium....and book up very fast....

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
The first two weeks in Oct. should be the best time to cruise. If you are going to ride the BRP they have a really neat campground with small cabins $25 a night on highway 276 just off the parkway Blue Ridge motorcycle campground will need to make reservations

·
Registered
183 Posts
Fall colors usually peak in this area around mid-October at the higher elevations, and closer to the end of October in Asheville. But every year is different, so if your trip dates are flexible, ask again in a few weeks and I'll give you an update of actual conditions.

If you need more advance notice, I'd recommend shooting for the middle of October. Since elevations vary from around 2300' here in Asheville to over 5000' on the Blue Ridge Parkway, you can usually find great leaf color somwhere nearby by mid-October.

As others have noted, though, Fall is our biggest tourist season, and motel rooms and campsites can be tough to find without advance reservations. The BRP can also be overcrowded with slow moving traffic, especially on weekends. If you're planning on a long ride on the BRP, you'll probably have more fun in September or November when traffic is lighter.

Sheldon
'04 Titanium GL1800

·
Registered
218 Posts
we rode the Dragon the first weekend in Nov. last year and it was full of great color. The Charahola Skyway was a little brown at about 4000' but everything below that was great. Going again this year hope to see the same.

BTW it was 72 deg at Deal's Gap and only about 43 on top of the skyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts