GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ride reports for the fall colors??
Our local news (Raleigh NC) reported that our mountains are close to peak.
Has anyone been on the Blue Ridge Parkway these past few days??
This weeks weather should be dry for our area. I hope this years fall is colorful.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Not much to see here either in SW Missouri or NW Arkansas. So far, just the slightest hints of some yellows coming out.

·
Registered
149 Posts
not much color in the mountains

·
Registered
538 Posts
Heading to North Shore of Lake Superior tomorrow...report to follow...

Reactions: BigBob1

·
Registered
109 Posts
No big changes in northern Ohio yet. Another week or two will make a big ditterence.

Reactions: schnits

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Everything is laying in the driveway here. I better get the chains on the tractor!!!!
Sky Plant Plant community Ecoregion Natural landscape

The above was just last week.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I've been up in WNC a few days. Another year of so-so color. What color there is so far is above 5000 feet. The top of Mt. Mitchell is yellow and gold as is some higher elevations on the BRP. Roan Mountain has a lot of yellow and red. 215 north of the BRP is in peak this week and it's not great.

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
When out just yesterday with the wife looking at the colors in Vermont (BUT IN A CAR)

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Heading to North Shore of Lake Superior tomorrow...report to follow...
North Shore is probably mostly done. Majority of leaves are down here in northern MN except for some yellow and green birch and poplar hanging on, so not much "color" there. And the oaks which usually drop after the snows. We've been in yard cleanup mode for a week or more.
Inland away from the Shore is much more colorful where the maple and oak variety make for some spectacular color shows. Highway 38 from Grand Rapids to Bigfork (41 miles of twisties and elevation changes) is a great color tour but it's been over a week since it peaked and now is looking dreary. One benefit is that with the leaves down it's much easier to see the many small lakes from the road.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Spent part of last week riding up in Vermont. Not quite peak yet up there but pretty good colors. Still lots of green. The Berkshires of Western Mass are now full of color. Approaching peak.

·
Registered
2018 GL1800 MT, 1998 Honda Shadow, 2016 Yamaha FJR1300
188 Posts
not to mention 1/2 of the tree in the backyard decided to drop its leaves the ground last night

·
Registered
538 Posts
North Shore is probably mostly done. Majority of leaves are down here in northern MN except for some yellow and green birch and poplar hanging on, so not much "color" there. And the oaks which usually drop after the snows. We've been in yard cleanup mode for a week or more.
Inland away from the Shore is much more colorful where the maple and oak variety make for some spectacular color shows. Highway 38 from Grand Rapids to Bigfork (41 miles of twisties and elevation changes) is a great color tour but it's been over a week since it peaked and now is looking dreary. One benefit is that with the leaves down it's much easier to see the many small lakes from the road.
Actually North Shore around Two Harbors not quite peak yet...from my eyes, and from the state color watch guide from DNR. Perhaps proximity to "warmish" lake is delaying a bit. Trees on 35 corridor up to Duluth are certainly at peak, though.

Reactions: jettawreck

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I've been up in WNC a few days. Another year of so-so color. What color there is so far is above 5000 feet. The top of Mt. Mitchell is yellow and gold as is some higher elevations on the BRP. Roan Mountain has a lot of yellow and red. 215 north of the BRP is in peak this week and it's not great.
Yeah, I am at Ironhorse right now typing this. I agree ….so-so at best.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Actually North Shore around Two Harbors not quite peak yet...from my eyes, and from the state color watch guide from DNR. Perhaps proximity to "warmish" lake is delaying a bit. Trees on 35 corridor up to Duluth are certainly at peak, though.
Good to know, I guess. 80 miles inland it's past its peak but rather hit/miss with some species not having turned much/any at all. Most of the yard leaves done today. It was gorgeous all afternoon.
Friends from southern MN are hosting the State Park campground at Tettegouche (north of Silver Bay) all the month of October. Hope to visit them yet before they close it up.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Prior to the local color peak camping at friends remote cabin in the north country of MN. End of September-ish.
Water Water resources Plant Vehicle Aircraft
Water Sky Plant Cloud Water resources

·
Registered
542 Posts
This was taken Thursday of last week in SW UT.

Sky Plant Cloud Mountain Natural landscape

Then this was yesterday in the valley at my house. 9 1/2 inches. It will be gone by tomorrow. We are warming back up into the 60's, so I can get the wing back out!

Sky Snow Tree Branch Freezing

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
They closed the good roads here because of snow, I'm not too far north of Snowmoer.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts