GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, you guys know that I am not an alarmist about these things, but look what I found today. Looks like two of 'em. These are on the left side of the bike, just below the battery. Looked under the bike and was feeling pretty good about things until I took off the the tupperware on the left side.

The dealer's swamped with getting bikes ready for Spring, but I'm taking it in next Wednesday so he can have a look. In the mean time, I'm planning on putting a few more miles on this baby.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
What are we supposed to be looking at... Those black marks?

Try taking a little solvent (brake cleaner, carb cleaner, etc) on a rag and rub on the marks, and see what happens. Those look like some sort of rub mark.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mrgl02 said:
What are we supposed to be looking at... Those black marks?

Try taking a little solvent (brake cleaner, carb cleaner, etc) on a rag and rub on the marks, and see what happens. Those look like some sort of rub mark.
The 'marks' coming away from the weld. Tried gasoline (hey, it was handy), and the 'marks' are still there, just cleaner. What's worse is when I rub my fingernail across 'em, it's obvious that they're not just scratches either.

They sure look like cracks to me. Two hairline cracks, with a third possible, just starting, if that's what it is. Dang it.

Look, don't panic everyone! I'm just submitting this as part of a database. This is research. So let's find out what the facts are, how many people are affected by this, and see what Honda does about it.

Okay, so it's no fun being the lab rat. :roll:

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Done!

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Does anyone have a phone number to Honda's CUSTOMER SERVICE AT THE PLANT that we can make some courtesy crack calls.

tony - Chicagoland

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I'm tending to agree with mrgl02. They look like some kind of scrape marks. But, if you look on the other side of the weld, where the indentation is, does that look like a hairline crack going up and to the left?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll try to answer all the questions with one post.

I've got an 03 ABS, with just under 7000 miles on it. Build date of June '02.

It fell with the recall range of VIN numbers, and the recall was done.

And yes, it's a crack, not a scrape. The mark to the right, might be a scrape, but the one on the left is a crack. I'm taking it to the dealer on Wednesday, and we'll see what he thinks.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Son of Thunder said:
And yes, it's a crack, not a scrape. The mark to the right, might be a scrape, but the one on the left is a crack. I'm taking it to the dealer on Wednesday, and we'll see what he thinks.
OK, just got back from the garage, took the silver plastic panel off, as well as the footrest, so I could get a real, real good look and it's a deep SCRATCH.
:oops:

So, I'll check it once in a while, just to be safe. And I'll watch the board, and try not to get caught up in the hysteria, again.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lucky Phil said:
I'll bet that you're relieved! :D
That I am. And more than a little embarrassed, too. :oops:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Don't be embarrassed, John. Any of us would have been alarmed to find those marks. I'm glad you dodged the bullet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thats the problem with people they see a little scratch and all of a sudden
it's a crack let's not jump on HONDA till we are sure.. :x :x :x

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
inquiring minds

How dows one get deep scratches in a place like that?

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I tend to think it was a heavy coat of paint over the weld. Maybe the metal was still warm from the weld when painted.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts