GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For about 2 weeks I noticed 2 bikes going around my block with one rider giving instructions to what was evident as a very new rider on a brand new bike wearing brand new gear.

The rider getting the instructions was ( IMO ) scared and stiff as a board.

Today I found her in a front yard after jumping a curb talking with her "instructor".

The question is; Is it wise to attempt to teach someone (family) close to you or a friend how to ride a bike or leave it to a certified instructor in a class room setting?

The first day I saw those two I knew there was going to be a problem. Just the way the tone was and how the new rider was accepting the input...

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I think it depends on the student. I taught my wife to ride a 750 cruiser and then she smoked the MSF course. She is a better pariking lot rider than me. If the rider feels comfortable and you judge him/her to be common sense oriented, have at it IMHO.

·
Registered
552 Posts
You really have to be patient, but yes it is possible to teach a friend or family member to ride.

Just make sure you know how to ride first before you start teaching others. Otherwise they will pick up some very bad habits that could hurt them further on down the road.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I went through the same question and here is what I did.

I put a bike up on blocks so the rear tire could rotate and taught her how to shift and operations of the controls while I applied some rear brake pressure to simulate a load.

Then let her take the beginning MSF class and that was the best way for us.

After the class I put her in front riding the heighborhood for a while so I could see what she was doing or not doing and she could set the pace. After about 1000 miles she decided to be behind me and that's where she is comfortable now.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I think some will never get the concept. And some only ride to please their mate. I just finished the MSF course and there was a woman that was telling how she has broken a leg in one crash, an arm in another, and on and on. She came fully decked out in her leathers and Harley gear. Said she learned on a Honda and moved up to her 883. There was NOTHING that she did right......braking thru the curves, stalling the bike, etc. She still doesn't have a license, but is good for another year on her permit. She will never be a rider, but should enjoy the hobby looking over a shoulder.

ps: not a young girl, probably mid 50's, with no desire to absorb coaching. Six other girls walked away with a stamped permit. Those listened.......learned

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Teaching new riders

I'd say it depends on the training experience & ability of the family member.
If the student is started out in a parking lot or other safe enviornment, learning the friction point,clutch control,throttle control,starting & stopping,straight line riding,cone weave,slo speed turns,slo speed circle(both left & right turns),figure 8,counter steering , obstacle avoidance,emergency braking,& the student becomes proficient in these skills & then is taken out in the street,I'd say no problem.
To take a newbie into the street & try to teach them to control a motorcycle is a recipe for disaster. Sort of like the blind leading the blind. :roll:
I'm teaching my 8 yr old Grandson to ride a 80cc dirt bike. Right now he's working on the circle. He's coming along just fine. 8)
Ride Red,
the hobo

·
Registered
104 Posts
My wife / kids would get nervous with me watchin/teaching....I'd leave it to the pros....regardless of how much experience I may think I have....

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
MadCow said:
My wife / kids would get nervous with me watchin/teaching....I'd leave it to the pros....regardless of how much experience I may think I have....

Also, do not, I repeat DO NOT ever, for any reason attempt to give your wife or children "advice" on any subject about which you, as a husband and father, have any amount of experience or expertise be it fishing, golf, pounding a nail or painting a wall. Such advice will only lead to opposite of the intended result.

And, by the way, if a negative result occurs, keep your pie hole shut!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
My better half (Im a butt head) wanted to ride. We talked a lot about it and I had her work the controls of my GL1100 on the center stand for throttle, break and shifting. Before she hit the street she took the state MSF course, did great and picked up a XV1100 Yammie. After a couple of years that gave way to a VTX1800R. She rides well, not as frequently as I would like, but shes cautious and pays attention.

I did not teach her to ride because I wanted it to be from someone she felt was objective. She took information and correction from the instructors much better than she ever would have from me. I vote for let the instructors train, then work with them on the street. Ride safe.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I agree leave it to the pros. I do not have the patience to teach my wife how to ride. She selected Iron Horse Taming for her classes. Very low student to instructor ratio. Came away with great confidence. Even started pointing out bad habits I had. I told her if she rode at least 10,000 miles the first year we could take the ERC the next spring then we could discuss my bad habits. She did, we did and I’m still working on them. :lol:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I have been a MSF and CMSP instructor for many years but I still recommend that they take the class instead of learning from me. That goes double if they are a family member. The MSF class will provide them bikes that are non-intimidating and appropriate for the beginner and the instructors will take them through each step as a group. They get to see how other are doing well and not doing so well. I think they can learn safe riding practices better that way JMHO.

I did teach a friend that was a "returning" rider after a 20 year absence from riding. It was that or he wasn't going to take any class at all (Harley hard headed...). When we went on our first long distance ride, he ended up going down because he over corrected on a swerve and caught a tire off the right edge of the pavement. His bike was only slightly damaged but his ego and confidence was shattered. It was the most grueling trip of my entire life getting him back home from 400+miles away.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I sent the wife and two teen sons to the basic class. Then I got a small CB and an ear bud so I could talk to them and they could not talk back :D I followed to watch them. The basic course gave them enough to give them starter skills. The ear bud was to tell them turns to take. The instructions came after we stopped. Sometimes it did require a "Stop up ahead" from me so I could get the instructions to them when the mess up was fresh in there heads. The wife never did anything besides pass the basic course. My two teenager have gotten pretty good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts