GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a cousin call me back in Feb. He said there are a lot of family members that ride. Let's post on Facebook about a family motorcycle ride to Deals Gap. I posted it for June 18th leaving my house at 8:30 am. We had 15 people on 9 bikes. 5 wings 3 harleys and 1 Vulcan. One of my female cousins has a 1200 sportster. She has never rode over 40 miles at one time, never been on the interstate, never rode in the rain, and never been out of KY. on a bike. Her husband and dad and sister didn't want her to go, they said it was too dangerous and she would never keep up with those "big touring bikes", but she was determined to go. She lives about 100 miles from me and I met her half way. We had 20 miles of interstate to ride. At our exit, we stopped to check on her. Her grin was ear to ear. She said "this bike was made for this". She rode over 600 miles in 3 states in the rain most of the trip, about 300 miles interstate. Now she is hooked, she asked me when we were going to Colorado.
We all decided to do this annually, hoping more family will join in. Won't be long untill she will be looking for a touring bike. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
We do the "Moyer Family Ride" each year and base ourselves out of Gatlinburg/Wears Valley around the last week of October into the first week of November.

This is the usual complement of folks:

• Me and my wife (Texas): GL1500, but this year will be the first on the GL1800! :)
  • My Mom and Dad (Michigan): GL1200 LTD
  • My Best friend and his wife (Texas): BMW K1200LT
  • Good friends (Texas): GL1800
  • Aunt (New York): GL1800 Trike
  • Uncle and Aunt (New York): GL1800 Trike
  • My cousin and his fiance (New York): HD
  • My dad's cousin and his wife (New York): Boulevard
  • Their son and girlfriend du jour (New York): Different sport bike each year.
  • Cousin and her husband possibly this year (Louisiana): GL1800 Trike
Doesn't matter what you ride... as long as you enjoy two wheels and having fun. :)

We usually lease a large cabin and base ourselves out of it. The focus is on fun and we usually do 1 or 2 full "family rides" and several other rides in smaller groups depending of who wants to do what. No one is required to ride on any ride, or even stay with the group if they don't want to. Same goes for the evening activities...

This has been a yearly ride for several years now... and I'm hoping it continues for years to come. In addition to the parkways, skyway's and 129 (dragon), we will actually be riding north of I-40 for the first time this year to mix things up, so any route ideas are welcome.

This is an awesome family event and I really wish more people could enjoy this experience. I think my eyes tear up every year when I look back in my mirror and see my family and close friends all riding and enjoying the trip. It's just such an awesome feeling to know that no matter how different we are... we all have this one thing in common.

Bob

Here's a pic from our first ride several years ago:

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Rode 350 miles to a family reunion in OK a couple weeks ago with my BIL and his wife on a 1500.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts