GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 2005 for a month or two, now, and I'd swear I hear a sort of chirp before the radiator fans kick on. My last bike was a Yamaha Royal Star, so I'm familiar with liquid-cooled bikes. Never heard one do this, though. Am I hearing phantom noises, or what? Everything seems to be operating - the temp gauge stays at that just-below-middle position, and it hasn't overheated or anything. I like the bike just fine - I'm just curious about this noise.

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
You might check to see if the fan blades are hiting the radiator...

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
My bike is doing that. The left fan is getting a worn bearing or something. I can hear it squeak or chirp just as it starts.

I ordered a new one a couple days ago.

You can take a long dowel or something and spin the fan blades to check if they are hitting the radiator.

But most likely one of the motors is chirping on start up.

That is gonna be fun, I may have to remove more than just the seat. :joke:

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Your 05 is operating EXACTLY CORRECTLY... the chirp is routine; sort of sounds like a police siren that's 50 miles away. My gauge always stays in the intended zone; just below middle. :thumbup: Just ride, enjoy, and don't always expect to get a correct answer from all these "experts". :shrug:

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Mine has always done it. Thankfully after 10 years, I'm getting more hard of hearing and I have my stereo turned up so these little annoyances are no longer annoyances.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I like it, let's me know my fans are functioning properly.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Ed, it is hard to say whether or not the "chrip" you are hearing is normal or not. To play it safe, I'd suggest comparing your bike to another gl1800.

Mine too makes a noise when the fans turn on but I wouldn't call it a chirp, however, I can see where someone else might.

·
Registered
581 Posts
sounds like an electronic bird?

First noticed mine while sitting in traffic in NM. I kept hearing this "TWEET,TWEET", only kind of electronic sounding. Every time we came to a stop at a traffic light and sat for a couple of minutes I would hear, "tweet, tweet. I even asked my wife if she heard that funny sounding bird? She hadn't noticed it.
After a while, I realized that every time that funny sounding bird went "tweet, tweet" the fans came on.
Fans hardly ever run when I am at home, but it was over 100 deg in NM that trip and in the hot part of the day and in slow traffic.
Once I figured out what it was I haven't worried about it.

·
Vendor
18,595 Posts
My bike is doing that. The left fan is getting a worn bearing or something. I can hear it squeak or chirp just as it starts.

I ordered a new one a couple days ago.

You can take a long dowel or something and spin the fan blades to check if they are hitting the radiator.

But most likely one of the motors is chirping on start up.

That is gonna be fun, I may have to remove more than just the seat. :joke:
You are right to replace it. Kind of like a blower motor chirp in a car. The cherp is the early warning. I would try doing that with the shelter on. Remove the dash cover, windshield, visor, and cowl. Worst case is reaching in to deal with the rear hose clamp but can probably get to that when you remove the lower fresh air duct, air vent, and then reach through the vent hole.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First noticed mine while sitting in traffic in NM. I kept hearing this "TWEET,TWEET", only kind of electronic sounding. Every time we came to a stop at a traffic light and sat for a couple of minutes I would hear, "tweet, tweet. I even asked my wife if she heard that funny sounding bird? She hadn't noticed it.
After a while, I realized that every time that funny sounding bird went "tweet, tweet" the fans came on.
Fans hardly ever run when I am at home, but it was over 100 deg in NM that trip and in the hot part of the day and in slow traffic.
Once I figured out what it was I haven't worried about it.
That's what I'm experiencing - just a little noise on fan startup. Almost sounds like a cricket or something. And just a double-tweet. Not three, not one.

I just got back from a 4000 mile trip to Cripple Creek, Colorado and back home, and had no problems (other than that dadgum lag in the cruise control, which I found annoying enough that I'm going to tear into the bike and shorten up the throttle cable now that I'm home).

Got into a traffic jam in Columbus, OH, on the way west, where at first we were sitting still or creeping ahead very slowly. The fans were definitely running, but the temp gauge held at just below center. THEN we started moving, slooooowly. Wonderful. I'm watching us creep along in the heat at about 10 - 15 mph, and just waiting for it. Sure enough, the temp gauge started climbing. I started going slower, letting a large gap open up in front of me, then driving a little over 20 mph, and I could feel the rush of hot air as the airflow reversed and flowed past my legs. It helped that I had trucks beside me, who weren't interested in changing lanes. We didn't creep along for more than 2 or 3 miles, and I was able to keep the temp gauge from rising above the 3/4 mark. Other than that, it was all good.

I now know the bike idles in first gear with my hand off the clutch lever at 4.6 mph, according to my GPS (Garmin Nuvi 550).

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
You are right to replace it. Kind of like a blower motor chirp in a car. The cherp is the early warning. I would try doing that with the shelter on. Remove the dash cover, windshield, visor, and cowl. Worst case is reaching in to deal with the rear hose clamp but can probably get to that when you remove the lower fresh air duct, air vent, and then reach through the vent hole.
It is done, just teasing about having to remove more than the seat.

A few scrap wood blocks, a bit of stressing the tupperware to the max, some hand held nut runner universals, a screwdriver heated up and bent and all is done.

I am picky with my bike, one little thing and I will fix it.

The fan has been known to cut into the radiator on my year bike, (08) so just cause I change the whole unit, motor, fan and bracket.

But I change the rubber expansion thingy/s in the master cylinders too when I change clutch or brake fluid........some I see look pretty rough.

I change light bulbs during the air filter change, lots of stuff I will do, just cause.

But you can get on that bike and ride it around the world, at any time. And not worry about mechanical nonsense.

About this winter it will get a new Alternator.........just cause. Better to me to do it on a cold day in the garage all warm and relaxed than be beside the road with it when it is 107 degrees and your sense of humor is not up to par. Lol!

Put a new battery in it this week too........just cause...........

Never use fifth gear much below 65 either. Just cause..........I feel a lot of the problems with the Wings transmission is rider caused.....dogging along at 2000 rpm in high gear.....poor ole tuning fork ...........lol!!

Next week time to change the fluids again.....I do it every year........just cause.

As for url......I like the slick kind and I like round filters. :joke::joke:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts