GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend that says his fans aren't coming on, I don't know for sure if he is letting it sit until they should or when riding they don't come on but he is bringing it over this weekend during our maintenance day and wants me to look at it for him.

He said he looked at the fuses already and they looked good but I didn't know if there was a relay involved so the forum is a great place to start. I will check his wires and look at the fuses myself but figured someone might have already had an issue like this (I don't know if its even over heating yet? :)

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I drove my '05 for almost 5 years before I discovered the fans weren't coming on. It only overheated climbing mountains. It's fairly easy to short the fan relay under the seat to force the fans on, or wait till the heat gauge starts to climb. This may be a bad relay, but In my case the ECU had to be replaced under the extended warranty.

·
IronMan
17,461 Posts
IS IT STILL SNOWING WHERE HE'S AT .:shrug::lol::lol::lol:

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,207 Posts
I have a friend that says his fans aren't coming on, I don't know for sure if he is letting it sit until they should or when riding they don't come on but he is bringing it over this weekend during our maintenance day and wants me to look at it for him.

He said he looked at the fuses already and they looked good but I didn't know if there was a relay involved so the forum is a great place to start. I will check his wires and look at the fuses myself but figured someone might have already had an issue like this (I don't know if its even over heating yet? :)
What year is his bike? It could be the fan relay, a fuse, the ECM, the engine temperature sensor, or even the key switch depending on what year it is.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,207 Posts
its a 2003, snow whats snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ok, as long as you have power on the #7 fuse (fan fuse) the key/ignition switch will not be the culprit. If it's missing, then look at the key/ignition switch. The relay for them is under the seat in the relay bank. The ECM has control of the relay by providing the ground to its coil to energize it when the engine temperature sensor reads high enough and the bike is moving slower than 15mph.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the fuses were good, the relay was good but no fans (at least I didn't get them to come on letting the bike run for 20 minutes) It isn't overheating so not a big deal but if the ECM is bad and the fans are the only thing not coming on would you fix it? The bike runs great and he even rides in the Veteran Day parade last year with no problems so I told him to just ride it and I would try and find out more.

We had about 25 bikes at the maintenance day yesterday, the weather was sunny, no wind and 58. Lots of things got done from changing air filters, oil changes, CB tune up's, ect. Did the fork seals in one of the bikes a few days before along with wheel bearings, and plugs so we are all set for a few more months.

Looking forward to Rogers in a week or so

DSCN0285.jpg DSCN0289.jpg DSCN0297.jpg DSCN0294.jpg DSCN0312.jpg

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
I suggest he put the system under some good healthy stress. Find a suitable large parking lot that is empty and practice those slow and tight turns in first, second, or even third. Try out the techniques shown by Motorman Jerry where you feather the clutch with relatively high RPM and use the rear brake peddle to stabilize the bike, all the while the bike's speed is pretty much at a snails pace. Plan on a 30 minute or longer session (or until the temp gauge goes well above the typical range) and then, with engine kept on, come to rest and idle. The fans should be on, if not the temp gauge will have peaked long ago. If the temp gauge does rise well above normal with no fans, immediately go on a normal paced ride to cool the system, don't just stop! This should let him know if it is working for sure and the practice may do him some good.

prs

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,207 Posts
Well the fuses were good, the relay was good but no fans (at least I didn't get them to come on letting the bike run for 20 minutes) It isn't overheating so not a big deal but if the ECM is bad and the fans are the only thing not coming on would you fix it? The bike runs great and he even rides in the Veteran Day parade last year with no problems so I told him to just ride it and I would try and find out more.

We had about 25 bikes at the maintenance day yesterday, the weather was sunny, no wind and 58. Lots of things got done from changing air filters, oil changes, CB tune up's, ect. Did the fork seals in one of the bikes a few days before along with wheel bearings, and plugs so we are all set for a few more months.

Looking forward to Rogers in a week or so

View attachment 52769 View attachment 52770 View attachment 52771 View attachment 52772 View attachment 52773
Does his temp gauge ever go over midway? If so and he is under 15 mph, the fans should run. If his gauge never goes over the half way point, then he could have a wiring issue or a temp sensor out of range issue. The sensor has 2 parts, one for the ECM and one for the gauge. A bad sensor or bad connections could make it have both symptoms.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts