GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding yesterday and the temp was about 95 and my bike is a 2007 and when the temp would go over half way the fans would run and then come back down my friend has a 2009 and his fans would run a bunch and his temp never went over half way. I never had mine go over half way until this year but this year is much hotter and now it goes past half way when I am sitting at a light. Is this normal that the fans only run after it passes the half way point?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Sounds just like my '07

·
Registered
878 Posts
It's easy enough to pull the right side pocket and check the coolant level in the rads... If it is full then you likley are OK ...
I had anissue with my 06 that the fans would not come on till 3/4 on the gauge... Never did find the real cause but it cleared as a result of lubing up many wiring connections (as many as one can get to with the shelter off)... I had even changed out the temp sender prior with no improvment... Only other thing is the wires between the the ECM... It's has been fine ever since the lubing though...

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
A little off-topic:

Sunday I was in a ride during which the temperature gauge went higher than normal, (half needle width below the half-way mark). Riding was between 15 and 25 mph and temps were in the low 90's.

At one point when traffic was heavy, the needle went to one & 1/2 mark below the red line. Fortunately at this point we turned onto an expressway and got up to about 50 mph and the temp returned to normal.

My question is: what is the best strategy when running hot? lower or higher gear? Seemed like using a lower gear, spinning the engine and pump faster didn't do as much as using a higher gear.

Also if the bike goes to red line temp and one stops, is shutting off the bike a good idea or just let the fans do their job? All assuming cooling system intact, of course.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,370 Posts
That's a good question. On my old 81 CX500 that was water cooled, you had to rev it faster when it got hot. This was because the fan was running off the camshaft and it didn't move enough air at idle. On my 04 wing, I've found that a higher gear and less rpms cools it down faster. If it gets too hot, just let it idle on the side of the road, it will cool down eventually.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
I was riding yesterday and the temp was about 95 and my bike is a 2007 and when the temp would go over half way the fans would run and then come back down my friend has a 2009 and his fans would run a bunch and his temp never went over half way. I never had mine go over half way until this year but this year is much hotter and now it goes past half way when I am sitting at a light. Is this normal that the fans only run after it passes the half way point?
Check your rad level..It might suprise you.:agree:

later..Randy

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
My '05 is in the shop right now because under the circumstances you describe, the fans were not turning on at all. Everything works when I ground the fan relay but the ECM never turns the fans on. You may have a similar situation.

·
Vendor
17,786 Posts
Check the resevior level, check the level under the cap. Pressure test the cooling system at 16lbs and then over night at 6-7 lbs. Also pressure test the rad. cap and inspect the line to the resevior. When the fans come on, put your hands in front to feel the air blast. The blow and heat should be equal. Doing all that, I am sure you will find out why yours is acting different from others. Also, make sure you are changing the coolant every 2 years or 24k. If you needed the pressure system addapters, you can get them at JustWings.com.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
A little off-topic:

Sunday I was in a ride during which the temperature gauge went higher than normal, (half needle width below the half-way mark). Riding was between 15 and 25 mph and temps were in the low 90's.

At one point when traffic was heavy, the needle went to one & 1/2 mark below the red line. Fortunately at this point we turned onto an expressway and got up to about 50 mph and the temp returned to normal.

My question is: what is the best strategy when running hot? lower or higher gear? Seemed like using a lower gear, spinning the engine and pump faster didn't do as much as using a higher gear.

Also if the bike goes to red line temp and one stops, is shutting off the bike a good idea or just let the fans do their job? All assuming cooling system intact, of course.
Your bike is acting normally. Once your speed reaches above 15 MPH, the ECM shuts down the cooling fans, regardless of the coolant temperature. This is because the fans push air forwards, and at about 15 to 20 MPH, that cancels any air movement. If the gauge gets into the red zone, you need to either speed up, or pull over and let the engine idle to lower the temperature.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I found my local "AUTOZONE" had a loaner radiator pressure tester complete with the adaptor for a honda motorcycle cap. Easy, free way to test the system.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts