GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from a fantastic ride down to Key West!

I’ve got the ’06 Wing and my buddy has an ’07 1300 VTX Retro.

My buddy and I left Bristol at 8AM on Wednesday 1/17 and rode down below Tampa, FL as the first stop (other than gas and the usual break). About an hour after we left home we were on top of Sam’s Gap in NC and it was cold…really cold at 65 MPH and an air temp of 19 degrees! We had to stop for a few minutes to get the blood flowing back in the fingers and toes! Thursday morning we rode from there on down to 41, the old two lane going across the Everglades, and on into Key West. Friday morning we kicked around a while and then headed north. We had planned on staying over in Brunswick, GA but my buddy made it to Yulee, FL and was ready to drop! We got a room there and he was honestly snoring after about 45 seconds after hitting the bed! He dropped over the thing without even taking his boots off and he was gone!

Saturday morning we got up and rode on into Bristol, TN. Once again when we got up on top of Sam’s Gap it was cold but it had warmed all the way up to a balmy summer-like 21 degrees!

In all it was another fantastic trip. He had never even been to Florida so it was an experience for him in many ways, first Florida trip, never been through a toll booth, never seen a drawbridge work before...my buddy doesn't get out all that much, at least not that far from home! :D

The VTX did give a few stutters along the way. Just above Tampa he said his electronic part of the dash was going wild with numbers and letters and his speedo was dropping to zero and back up to speed. I told him it was probably a loose battery terminal and we could check it right there but he didn’t want to mess with it until we hit the Keys unless everything went bad. It didn’t do this again, however when we stopped at a 7-Eleven in Daytona on the way back we had to work on it. We came out and the VTX had nothing, no lights, no dash, nothing. Took the seat off and you could twist the battery bolts off with your fingers. Tightened them up good and everything was just fine.

The Wing never missed a beat, I love it! :D

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I have a 01 wing and my wife has a 05 1300 r vtx,it has 15,000 miles on it and never a problem,your friend will love it,my wing has 80,000 miles on it and has never given me a problem.OLE YELLER MBG PA

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No one could really complain when the problem amounts to loose battery connections!

He was tickled that it was easy to diagnose and fix.

I have owned two 1800 VTX Retros, a 2002 and a 2003. The first one I put 26,000 miles on in the first 14 months. Never a single problem with either of those bikes...gotta love these Hondas! :D

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
my wife has a VTX 1300R last year coming home from Cat-Cade we rode tripple digits all the way down I-81 keep looking in my mirror for a big puff of smoke from the VYX but it hung right with the wing and never complained a bit. One hell of a bike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts