GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thursday night 8/11/11, on my way to work (on the 02 orange), I ran over a car key, the kind with a big plastic piece on the head. I'm not sure what it looked like, all I heard was a loud pop. The metal key part flipped up and pierced the rear tire. It went totally flat in less than 100yd. NO big deal, it's a runflat. Rode it for about 4 more blocks to work, pulled the key out with a pair of pliers, used a Stop-N-Go plugging kit and inserted a mushroom headed plug. Put 38 psi in it. The next day, Friday, it was showing 36 psi. Rode it home and then on Sat morning, we left on the Red 2010 for a four day weekend. Came back on Tuesday, got the 02 ready for work on Wed and the tire press was still 36 psi. I said this is great, that plug is awesome. Rode it to work Wed thru Sunday without checking the tire press, so I don't know how much was in it when the plug blew out at about 65mph in a curve. :eek:4: Had I not ridden it flat a few days before, it would have scared the bejeebers out of me. :22yikes: The rear end wiggled a little and the bike started feeling heavy in the turn. I knew exactly what had just happened. I was 17 miles from home, so I just rode it on home, NOT TOO BAD, really. The straight-aways were OK at 60 -70 mph. Taking curves and turning corners are a different story. The tire sings and roars, depending upon the road surface and degree of turn. NO CRASH AND BURN... Imagine That...

I changed it out a few minutes ago with a Conti Pro that still has a few miles on it. I'm gonna take the Kuhmo to the tire shop, get them to remove it from the rim and check it inside, and get it patched on the inside if it is not hurt from riding it so far with no air in it. I'm not suprised the steel belt cut the rubber plug into, I've heard of it happening before.

This is not my first flat with a CT, but it was the first time I was moving at a pretty rapid rate on a two-lane road and have a tire go flat really fast.

If you've never ridden your bike without air in your CT, you should let the air out and ride it down the road and back. Get a real feel of what your bike feels like with a flat. It may keep you from panicing someday.

RUN FLATS ARE AWESOME...

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
You ain't right. That plug blew out at 65 mph. :lol: Good laugh on that one.

Try that on ..........well behave Kit........

Perfect example of the safety of a ROF tire. Nothing out there can compare.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Glad everything turned out good on the run flat. Hope you have luck getting it fixed from the inside. Around here, no one will touch a tire once someone has tried plugging it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I had a Kumo blow last year doing 70mph in a curve. I thought it felt a little funny then a half mile later I realized what it was. Pulled over to the side of the road and when I droped below 40mph it was really scarry. I gave itsome gas got back up to 50mph and made it to tnenext exit. Your right about the turns, no fun at all, but Im here to tell the story and no road rash to show for it.

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
If you've never ridden your bike without air in your CT, you should let the air out and ride it down the road and back. Get a real feel of what your bike feels like with a flat. It may keep you from panicing someday.
Best advice I read here in a long time :thumbup:

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Ah, can I say, "told you so"?

Any stories of NRF users having a blow out at speed and/or in a corner? Sure would like to hear them. :shrug:

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
We ride around the keys in the road!

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
My bride loves these stories. It gives her something to feel good about when I'm on the road.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I've had a valve stem failure on a rear moto tire once and the feeling is unmistakable. Don't want to experience that again, hence a run flat is on my rear wheel now.

·
IronMan
17,461 Posts
another big story we all (almost) no that ct 's aint safe :lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
1,189 Posts

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
I can't believe you guys! Haven't you read what the tire inganeers say?:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
268 Posts
the plug blew out at about 65mph in a curve. :eek:4: Had I not ridden it flat a few days before, it would have scared the bejeebers out of me. :22yikes: The rear end wiggled a little and the bike started feeling heavy in the turn. I knew exactly what had just happened. I was 17 miles from home, so I just rode it on home, NOT TOO BAD, really. The straight-aways were OK at 60 -70 mph. Taking curves and turning corners are a different story. The tire sings and roars, depending upon the road surface and degree of turn. NO CRASH AND BURN... Imagine That...

RUN FLATS ARE AWESOME...
The Kumho Run Flat is designed to be ridden for 50 miles at 50mph with no air. Kumho considers no air being anything less than 15psi. Personally I would replace the tire (It did its job TWICE according to your entire post) but thats me. Glad everything worked out for you and I agree with your comment "RUN FLATS ARE AWESOME" .

Ride On!

Smitty

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Goldwingnut,

So does this picture actually capture your flat tire in action? (The rear looks low,and is throwing sparks)

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
I agree 100% and if you check the link below you'll see
I did just that on my NRF C/T so I'd have no surprises
one day if it went flat. I rode it with zero air from 0MPH
to 95MPH :thumbup:

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251520

·
Registered
2,640 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Always love a happy ending! :congrats:

It's stories like this that led me to the Dark Side to begin with, in spite of tha cah tiyah inganeers. :eek:4:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts