GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:?: I understand the correct idle speed for the GL1800 is 700 RPM+-70. I have a 2001 model, recentlly it jumped to aprox 1200 at idle. Anyone else with a similar problem and how was it corrected?

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
bart blue said:
:?: I understand the correct idle speed for the GL1800 is 700 RPM+-70. I have a 2001 model, recentlly it jumped to aprox 1200 at idle. Anyone else with a similar problem and how was it corrected?
Edit... wrong info removed. :oops:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Yep. What Bob said. I just want to re-emphasize, after reconnecting the battery, start the bike without touching the throttle, and don't touch it for the stated time. If you rev it even the slightest, it will confuse the ECM and you'll be back to square one. The Idle should drop on it's own.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you guys are saying ? I have heard of disconnecting the battery, then re-connecting etc, but take the POS and touch it to the Neg ? Are we not going to have some major sparks here ?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Mike L,

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you guys are saying ? I have heard of disconnecting the battery, then re-connecting etc, but take the POS and touch it to the Neg ? Are we not going to have some major sparks here ?

You are not shorting the battery, it is disconnected at this stage. By touching the Positive (red) cable and the Negative one, you are assuring that their is no residual voltage in the bike with the battery out of the circuit. Sometimes a radio, clock or some other electronic device will store a small amount of electrical energy that this process will eliminate.

·
Registered
81 Posts
great tip when taking bike out of storage

thats also something all should remember this spring if storing your bike w/o the battery. Start up this spring w/o touching the throttle, and let the bike fully warm up (15 minutes).

Spring-nice thought as it hit 20 below last night!

S

·
0 Posts
Hey Jim 20 below - any snow up in your area? We have some of the cold but none of the snow :cry:

I'm stuck into home remodeling mode until we get some warm weather or snow.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
yup

After I thought about it for a minute ? Wake up ? Must of been one of those moments........LOL :oops:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Bart. I tried answering the email you sent but it came back. Must be a problem with your address.

I'm glad to hear that your idle trouble is straightened out now.
Glad we could help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts