GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 14 yo daughter's high school is having a Father/Daughter dance next month and I asked her last week if she wanted to go. She said that she didn't want me to spend the $80 and have to make her get all dressed up.

Yesterday after school she reminded me about the dance and said instead of going to it, if we could have a Daddy/Daughter Day on the Wing. Told her I'd love to, and she flashed the most beautiful smile and said thank you.

My heart soared and all the planets in my life were perfectly aligned.

Not sure what we'll do, or where we'll go, but that doesn't matter...really.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Cherish it...being close to your kids, especially during their teen age like that is (IMHO) a way to keep them on the straight and narrow and will pave the way for some of your life's greatest memories. Ride like the wind...you're raising a great girl there. :)

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Hey, not bad. I went to a few father daughter dances, and enjoyed our time together. Now if she came to me and said a father daughter ride instead....WOW! :lol:

My youngest daughter doesn't like to ride. A girl in her school lost a leg in an accident, and she can't get that out of her head. I don't push it at all.

My older daughter loved to ride with me. We took a trip on the bike, and camped for a week a couple years ago, and it is something we'll never forget. A true bond was made there. :clap2:

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
too cool, enjoy the ride DAD :D

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Take every moment and just revel in it. Times like those cant be replaced for anything. I wish my son could stop growing up. Kinda like a puppy, you just want them to stop growing because they are so neat at a young age.

·
Registered
362 Posts
There is an old saying "Anyone Can Be A Father, It Takes Someone Special To Be A Dad", enjoy the ride....

Bill

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
My daughter is 37 with three kids and a job. Every Spring I fly her down from Michigan for a couple of days on the Wing. She loves to ride. It's something we both look forward to all year.

She just called the other day during a snowstorn up there and said, "Is it time yet".

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
It is a great feeling isn't it!!! Having time with your children now will pay huge dividends later on in life. Great for you!!!

I had a standing daddy - daughter date night since my little on was 10. Every Saturday she and I would do something, dinner, bowling, baseball game, whatever. As she go into high school, it was to the HS game. As she got older, it was still daddy daughter date night, but she would invite friends to come along, then she met friends at the activity until finally, sadly, she started dating boys. So 9 years after we started, and 2 years since stopped, she has asked if we could have some more daddy daughter date nights. :D :D :D She has the funnest times on the Wing....

Keep it up, and it will be great for ever!!!

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
My daughter is now 22 and moved away. I will always cherish the time we had together. Enjoy every minute you can.... they will be gone before you know it.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I don't know who is the luckiest, you or her?? :lol:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Just think you might be able to have a grandfather/granddaughter ride someday! I can't wait for that one. Oh yes, it's the daughters that will take care of you when you get old ...

FF

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
twyn,

Enjoy the moments! Cassie (15 year old daughter) has ridden with me over 16,000 miles in the last 19 months including two trips to the Western US, 1 trip to the Smokies, and several trips to Big Bend.

She is the only reason I still have the GL1800 as I personally prefer my FJR for single riding!

Ride & create memories!

Best Regards,

Shane

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Enjoy the time together!! I have been blessed that my 9 year old God Daughter took her first rides with me last summer and she loves it. My step kids (2 girls, 1 boy) from my first marriage all enjoyed "ride time" when they would get time riding the Wing and one on one time with me. Enjoy the future memories!!

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
That's what it's all about...being a DAD! Of all my titles (Colonel, Doctor, Commander), the one I cherish the most and treasure is "DAD". Enjoy the moment! :D

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Several times I offered to pick up my daughter from school or to take her to school or even to just go for a ride.

She had some very firm and non-negotiable rules before it would happen:
1. Nobody she knows would be allowed to see her getting ON the bike.
2. Nobody she knows would be allowed to see her getting OFF the bike.
3. Since we have to wear a helmets there would have to be a bathroom available IMMEDIATELY after arriving at the destination.
4. No Kilts (her school uniform).
5. No riding in the rain.
6. No riding in the heat.
7. No riding when there was a possibility that someone she knows might be walking down the street and see her.
8. And remember point #3 emphasizes point #2.

Both sons have been on the back of the Wing but our daughter is now in University (3rd year) and I still have not taken her for a ride.

So, if you have daughters, get them on the bike BEFORE they are old enough to care about helmet hair.

·
Registered
703 Posts
twyn said:
My 14 yo daughter's high school is having a Father/Daughter dance next month and I asked her last week if she wanted to go. She said that she didn't want me to spend the $80 and have to make her get all dressed up.

Yesterday after school she reminded me about the dance and said instead of going to it, if we could have a Daddy/Daughter Day on the Wing. Told her I'd love to, and she flashed the most beautiful smile and said thank you.

My heart soared and all the planets in my life were perfectly aligned.

Not sure what we'll do, or where we'll go, but that doesn't matter...really.
You guys with daughters are luck dudes. I have three boys and I can't get any of them riding. I read where this guy took his daughter from Michigan to the Gulf Coast and back and they had a wonderful time. My granddaughter is just 2 years old. By the time she is ready to ride, I may be on a trike.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Jess,
You are truly a fortunate man. A Father/Daughter ride. Rides like this are something to be cherished for years to come.
I rarely get to get any of my daughters (3 girls 0 boys) to ride. I have managed a weekend ride with each. Of all the rides I have been on these are the ones I remember the most. The older two went with me from St. Louis to Atlanta for the RFK in '91 & '92 on my 750 Nighthawk and my youngest this past year talked me into to talking her to the dragon on the wing (boy was that a tough sell).

·
Registered
939 Posts
My daughter, now in her early 20s, enjoys riding with me. We have been on several rides to visit my brother and her cousins that live about 600 miles away. We always look forward to it and have a good time. Last year we weren't able to schedule it, hope this year is better. Its always a high point of my summer.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts