GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 GL1800 ABS/Nav. I have been trying to trouble shoot a FI 41 issue.The Code refers to the “gear position sensor” circuit.

The FI light comes on after riding 8-10 km at sustained speed over 80KM per hour. Under 80 km per hour the fault never appears. It is very predictable after many tests. Once the fault light comes on it remains on until the bike is shut down at which point it clears. However, all functions normally with the fault indicator lit. Cruise, reverse, side stand, neutral and OD indicators are all normal. The only thing that occurs, the engine shuts down in neutral (neutral light is “ON”) when I drop the side stand. This only occurs when the FI is lit.
I have replaced the gear position sensor, speed sensor and the diode associated with this circuit. The clutch switch and side stand switch test normal.

Full disclosure, this has been an issue since I purchased the bike over a year ago. The engine is a 2008 and was installed by a Honda dealer per to me acquiring it the bike.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,205 Posts
I have a 2006 GL1800 ABS/Nav. I have been trying to trouble shoot a FI 41 issue.The Code refers to the “gear position sensor” circuit.

The FI light comes on after riding 8-10 km at sustained speed over 80KM per hour. Under 80 km per hour the fault never appears. It is very predictable after many tests. Once the fault light comes on it remains on until the bike is shut down at which point it clears. However, all functions normally with the fault indicator lit. Cruise, reverse, side stand, neutral and OD indicators are all normal. The only thing that occurs, the engine shuts down in neutral (neutral light is “ON”) when I drop the side stand. This only occurs when the FI is lit.
I have replaced the gear position sensor, speed sensor and the diode associated with this circuit. The clutch switch and side stand switch test normal.

Full disclosure, this has been an issue since I purchased the bike over a year ago. The engine is a 2008 and was installed by a Honda dealer per to me acquiring it the bike.

What was the part number of the diode that was replaced? Does the cruise control set and work correctly in 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear?

·
Vendor
17,403 Posts

I think you're describing a FI light from code 41, and engine dies when the transmission is in 'N', when lowering side stand.

Just to clarify ... an transmission in neutral means that you can push the Wing back and forth with the engine off and the clutch lever released.

Was the engine removed or trans cover removed ???

OH ... you disclosed that. The GPS is not that hard to test. Start by verifying that it's connector is clean and fully seated. If so follow the GPS test in the section Lights/Meters/Switches.

From here it sounds like someone had the cover off, and didn't have it in 'N' when they reinstalled the cover. When that occurs, its little line-up bar gets bent/broke, and it's not able to pivot correctly and send proper gear position information the ECM.

Honda uses the same GPS part number from 2001-17.

To replace it, you'll need a new GPS, gasket, a small tube of Honda-Bond4, and a tube of med. strength thread lock (Honda Thread Lock2). Thread lock goes on the 3 slave cylinder bolts, and the 2 sensor bolts only. All cover, slave cylinder, and sensor bolts are torqued to 108 in/lbs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What was the part number of the diode that was replaced? Does the cruise control set and work correctly in 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear?
Good morning.

Cruise works fine in 5th, I have not tested in 3rd, and 4th.
The diode was 32146-SJ4-003. I put in a new one, but the one I removed test OK.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you're describing a FI light from code 41, and engine dies when the transmission is in 'N', when lowering side stand.

Just to clarify ... an transmission in neutral means that you can push the Wing back and forth with the engine off and the clutch lever released.

Was the engine removed or trans cover removed ???

OH ... you disclosed that. The GPS is not that hard to test. Start by verifying that it's connector is clean and fully seated. If so follow the GPS test in the section Lights/Meters/Switches.

From here it sounds like someone had the cover off, and didn't have it in 'N' when they reinstalled the cover. When that occurs, its little line-up bar gets bent/broke, and it's not able to pivot correctly and send proper gear position information the ECM.

Honda uses the same GPS part number from 2001-17.

To replace it, you'll need a new GPS, gasket, a small tube of Honda-Bond4, and a tube of med. strength thread lock (Honda Thread Lock2). Thread lock goes on the 3 slave cylinder bolts, and the 2 sensor bolts only. All cover, slave cylinder, and sensor bolts are torqued to 108 in/lbs.
When indicating Neutral, it is indeed in neutral. The bike roles with the clutch released.
Everything functions normal as long the FI light is not on, and it only activates once I get over 80km per hour and sustain a speed over 80km/h for more than approx. 8km. It is VERY predictable. Once it comes on, the bike runs normal. When I stop and put the bike in neutral, it shuts done when I drop the side stand. Without touching or adjusting anything, start the bike back up and all is clear, no FI and I can pull up and drop the side stand normal and the bike stays running.
I have replaced the GPS with a new one already, I had the same thought you did in reference to the neutral position pin .

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,205 Posts
When indicating Neutral, it is indeed in neutral. The bike roles with the clutch released.
Everything functions normal as long the FI light is not on, and it only activates once I get over 80km per hour and sustain a speed over 80km/h for more than approx. 8km. It is VERY predictable. Once it comes on, the bike runs normal. When I stop and put the bike in neutral, it shuts done when I drop the side stand. Without touching or adjusting anything, start the bike back up and all is clear, no FI and I can pull up and drop the side stand normal and the bike stays running.
I have replaced the GPS with a new one already, I had the same thought you did in reference to the neutral position pin .
Have you tested the reverse regulator assembly? The GPS sensor diode that you changed doesn’t have anything to do with the dying in neutral symptom, but the regulator will. Also, did you check the continuity of the wires to and from the sensor diode, especially to the GP3 pin at the ECM‘s connector?

·
Vendor
17,403 Posts
Got it ... Hopefully Rob will walk you thru how to diagnose your issue. To me it sounds like a harness was pinched when the engine was being reinstalled, or a harness got pulled on from not being disconnected when being removed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good afternoon.
I have not tested the reverse regulator assembly or the sensor continuity.

Thank you so much for the ideas, much appreciated.
I will follow up with feed back once I get a chance to tear it down again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you tested the reverse regulator assembly? The GPS sensor diode that you changed doesn’t have anything to do with the dying in neutral symptom, but the regulator will. Also, did you check the continuity of the wires to and from the sensor diode, especially to the GP3 pin at the ECM‘s connector?
[/QUOTE

Have not had time to do all the tests you suggested, however on a couple of rides this weekend and the cruise does not work in 3rd gear, only 4th and 5th.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts