Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What have you tried?
How did you like it?
Looking for something to fit an oval head.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Z1r open face is my favorite and most comfortable choice for my wife and I. She wears a medium and I wear 3x. The first helmet that really feels comfortable on my oval and large head! The ventilation is good... Not as quiet as I would like but ok! Comfort and fit I would give an excellent rating!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
295 Posts
I love my Scorpion for two reasons: 1. It is light and comfortable. 2. Scorpion has very competitive pricing.

P.S. I I really dig the AGV helmets above.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Results are mixed. More votes needed.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Results are mixed. More votes needed.
Open face are not so popular, especially with experience.

I just bought my wife a nice fancy modular and we can even use the intercom and hear each other where as before all you got was wind noise.

Some of the modulars can be used as an open face, you might look into those. I forget which one that is at the moment but one of them the entire modular front folds all the way back and presto open face if you like.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
HJC . . . It was the only Open Face Helmet that I found that was both DOT and Snell certified. Don't wear it much . . . having grown accustomed to how my face looks presently.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Shoei RJ Platinum is also DOT and Snell certified, we use them as summer helmets and the Shoei Multitec Modular for Winter riding. Not sure about the oval head shape being good for these helmets though.

·
Banned
792 Posts
HJC . . . It was the only Open Face Helmet that I found that was both DOT and Snell certified. Don't wear it much . . . having grown accustomed to how my face looks presently.
Same here, HJC for wife and me and they were comfy. I now am not comfy with anything other than my new Neotec.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Although I do have two Scorpion helmets that I like, my most recent purchase was a Seer half helmet. The Seer clearly has the best air-flow for the warmer weather! I also got it color matched to my trike. High quality helmet. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Prefer full face, have always figured that if I had an open face and went skidding across the road the wife would have the surgeons make me look too handsome!

Besides I have never forgotten the brick that fell off a dump truck and hit me in the chin bar, helmet ruined, I rode home with no injury.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have had the Arai Classic M and when I replaced last fall Arai no longer made a 3/4 helmet without a shield so I tried a Shoei J-Cruise but ended up with the Shoei Platinum R.

The Shoei is more oval than the Arai

Rod

·
Registered
976 Posts
Wont own one

I haven't worn an open face helmet since 1978. That's when I saw the result of road rash on the face of an unfortunate female passenger involved in a motorcycle accident that I happened upon while traveling highway 25 N between Santa Fe and Albuquerque, NM. She was conscious and appeared to have minor injuries besides the damage to her face - which was extensive.:cry:

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
My last two have been Arai's and I like them for the most part. Had an HJC with the flip down visor that was junk. I had a Shoei RJ Air Platinum years ago, but it is the old fashioned style with the snap on faceshield, not the newer style flip down.

My latest Arai is only a year old, but I tried on the new Shoei J Cruise at the winter motorcycle show, and I really like that helmet. They finally designed a newer style flip down visor, and devised a flip down half sun visor that works better than any that I have seen. I really hate to buy a new expensive helmet when I already have a new expensive helmet sitting out there, but I may give in and splurge. It's really well designed.

FWIW, despite what a previous post said, there are many DOT and Snell open faced helmets out there. All the Shoei and Arai open faced helmets have both certs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts