GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you happen to get to Palestine, Texas in the East Texas Piney Woods,
two of the more favorite restaurants in the area are Little Mexico and Shep's BarBQue. Both are located on Hwy 79 that runs east/west thru Palestine. Little Mexico is currently closed due to a fire in their kitchen and will probably be closed for a few months as they rebuild.
Shep's BarBQue is still up and running and a good place to eat. " If you leave there hungry its your own fault" says owner Bruce Barrett. I often wonder how he manages to stay in business, as for the large amount of meat that he puts on your plate. I've eaten in alot of BarBQue places in Texas, and Bruce Barrett who runs Shep's is up there in the top few.
Lots of good motorcycle roads in the area. FM 315, FM 23, FM 294, Hwy 84 to Rusk, FM752 are just a few, and the Bluebonnets are starting to come out.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
We used to eat at Coffee Landing and heard it burned down in 2008. Would you know if they rebuilt?

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Sad to say they don't plan on rebuilding. It burned one night while it was up for sale. No wrong doing was found but the results are the same, its gone and won't be back. We were headed there to eat and found a smouldering mess the day after it burned.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Shep's BBQ is about as good as it gets. I went in there one day and ordered a sliced beef sandwich and by mistake they fixed me a chopped beef sandwich. It looked good so I took it. It was the best BBQ I ever sunk my teeth into. And talk about a handfull... there was a side of beef on that thing...

Next weekend I took Tammy there and we both had one of their chopped beefs. With out a doubt, it just does not get any better then that.

I'm with you.. I don't know how they can afford to pile up the meat like that.

The place is always full of DPS Troopers at noon. If you want good food in Texas, start looking for their cars at lunch time.
If you happen to get to Palestine, Texas in the East Texas Piney Woods,
two of the more favorite restaurants in the area are Little Mexico and Shep's BarBQue. Both are located on Hwy 79 that runs east/west thru Palestine. Little Mexico is currently closed due to a fire in their kitchen and will probably be closed for a few months as they rebuild.
Shep's BarBQue is still up and running and a good place to eat. " If you leave there hungry its your own fault" says owner Bruce Barrett. I often wonder how he manages to stay in business, as for the large amount of meat that he puts on your plate. I've eaten in alot of BarBQue places in Texas, and Bruce Barrett who runs Shep's is up there in the top few.
Lots of good motorcycle roads in the area. FM 315, FM 23, FM 294, Hwy 84 to Rusk, FM752 are just a few, and the Bluebonnets are starting to come out.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
We used to eat at Coffee Landing and heard it burned down in 2008. Would you know if they rebuilt?

Yeah that was a nice place out on lake Palestine in Coffee City Texas on Hwy. 155. I think Rip specifically meant Palestine Texas which is about 30 miles south of there on hwy 79. Oh yeah and 314 to 315 from Edom to Palestine used to be one of my favorite east Texas rides.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Yeah that was a nice place out on lake Palestine in Coffee City Texas on Hwy. 155. I think Rip specifically meant Palestine Texas which is about 30 miles south of there on hwy 79. Oh yeah and 314 to 315 from Edom to Palestine used to be one of my favorite east Texas rides.
Thanks Teaser, I am quite familiar with the area. I asked the question of Rip because of his living in the area. If anyone would know he would.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, Coffee Landing is gone and will not be back. Sort of like the old Red Ackers Catfish place that was up on Lake Palestine. Both burned down....guess too much grease in the kitchens. Both were excellent places to eat and will be missed by alot of folks.

I just started the thread to put up a few places to eat if you get to the Palestine area. Maybe a few others will start a thread about restaurants in their area, or just a restaurant thread in general. We are always riding on the weekends and looking for another place to eat within about 75 to 100 miles of Palestine.

If you get over to Fairfield, try Sams on the interstate for their buffet, or Sammy's on Hwy 84 just off the interstate if you want a plate lunch at lunch time. Sammy's is usually full of oilfield people. Sam's gets all the interstate traffic.

See ya
Rip

·
Registered
159 Posts
I lived in Palestine when Sheps BBQ burned down in the late 80's . It is a good place to eat . Bruce is also a real nice person ' as is his whole family .

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
We (SO) loves MAZIO'S Pizza, whe have to go there everytime we are in Palestine.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
The Shed is ok but I'm not that into what they serve. They have good burgers though. On Sunday after 4 pm the bakery across the street has what we refer to as clean out the fridge day. Their food is good and the menu is $6.95 each. It is good and there is usually plenty of it. The deserts are reduced price too. It is staying light longer now and we will start making the ride over.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We were by the Shed in Edom on Wednesday. Had the Chicken Fried Steak with the taters and fixing. Pretty good eats. Save room for the pies.... havent been across the street to the bakery, but I heard that its pretty good too.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
LeFeats are something like that about 10 miles out west from Palestine on 79 / 84 is good.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The LaFitte's Cajon Cafe and catfish place is now closed after the owners wife died a few months ago. It was a pretty good place to eat, but I dont think they are going to be opening back up again, from what I have heard.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you get to the Panhandle, stop in at Fat Boys on Hiway 87 in Canyon, Texas. They serve good BBQ but the ribs on Tuesday and Thursday are exceptional - if you get two, not racks, just two ribs you will be there awhile.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Anybody ever eat at The Purple Pig in Flint??? :doorag: Not bad Q either. Hey Blurider we will be headin your way next month for the Texas State rally with GWRRA.

·
Registered
86 Posts
MESWJ: Welcome, I will keep the light on. Its been an unusually windy spring but the normal thunderstorm activity has been sparce. Amarillo has a good selection of chain eateries and a selection of unique chow lines as well. If you have time, put the Palo Duro Canyon on your schedule.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Palo Duro is on the scheduel and told the wife I want to ride alittle on Route 66 just to say I've been on it. Never been on it before , guess i;ve lived a shelterd life-LOL. :shock:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts