GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My favorite little stretch of highway in Virginia is Rte. 56 off of Rte. 60 from Buckingham to Steeles Tavern on Rte. 11. It's just a little south of Staunton, so there's lots of places to grab a bite once you get on Rte. 11. What a beautiful ride!!

Joe

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Hurricane, do you prefer going up the side of the mountain from Buckingham to the Blue Ridge Parkway or going down the side from there to Rt 11. I enjoy both but usually coming from the Richmond area only do the side going up to to the Parkway and then hop on the Parkway to Afton.

Ah Mike that segment of Rt 16 is a prized segment of road. You were not supposed to talk about it as we don't want it to be another Deals Gap(great section of road but too populated).

It is hard to pick a favorite in VA as there are so many. One that is a favorite with me although not especially difficult but just a beautiful ride in RT 231 from Gordonsville to Sperryville. There are some technical sections and then the views are fantastic. Of course at the end in Sperryville you then have the racetrack of RT 211 up over the mountain.

Again one of the more scenic type rides is Rt 39 from Lexington to Marlington, WV, but my favorite section is going through Goshen Gap. This is best done on weekdays as there normally are crowds on weekends.

And the list goes on!

·
Registered
546 Posts
There are several roads that head over to WV from the Woodstock area that wind through the Alleganys. Also a couple that head eastward through the Massanuten over to Fort Valley. I never tire of those roads. But for a really long and enjoyable ride it is hard to beat the Skyline Drive and/or Blue Ridge Parkway. Especially in the off season through the week when there is very little traffic to contend with.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey harvey,
I really like all of it but I really enjoy going through Montebello; that's a cool little place. And that orchard has the best apple butter I've ever tasted.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Hurricane, do you prefer going up the side of the mountain from Buckingham to the Blue Ridge Parkway or going down the side from there to Rt 11. I enjoy both but usually coming from the Richmond area only do the side going up to to the Parkway and then hop on the Parkway to Afton.

Ah Mike that segment of Rt 16 is a prized segment of road. You were not supposed to talk about it as we don't want it to be another Deals Gap(great section of road but too populated).

It is hard to pick a favorite in VA as there are so many. One that is a favorite with me although not especially difficult but just a beautiful ride in RT 231 from Gordonsville to Sperryville. There are some technical sections and then the views are fantastic. Of course at the end in Sperryville you then have the racetrack of RT 211 up over the mountain.

Again one of the more scenic type rides is Rt 39 from Lexington to Marlington, WV, but my favorite section is going through Goshen Gap. This is best done on weekdays as there normally are crowds on weekends.

And the list goes on!
Harvey...you're right about rte. 39 through Goshen pass....I used to live on 39 back in '89 through '91 beautiful country! When I would have a bad day I would just go for a ride & all my worries were gone!
One of my fav's is a run from Buena Vista to Bedford 501 to 130 to 122...the switch backs are awesome! :cool:
The wife & I did a quick ride today down riverside drive into downtown....very windy today...the wife said it was so windy it was taking her breath away!
All in all we a had a good ride & DQ was on the way home! :thumbup:

Mark

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Mark,

You are so correct about Rt 501. We were coming out of Lynchburg one day headed toward Lexington and saw a sign for Rt 501 as a scenic byway. So we headed that way, and had a great ride.

That was the trip that took 5 days from Richmond to Gettysburg!

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Hello all,

I just got back from a great weekend at Crabtree Falls on Rt 56. I would have to agree that is up there as far as awesome roads go though a bit narrow. I have been on Rt 16 as well coming back from a Smokies Trip and could not believe how nice that was. Another great road is Rt 220 from Covington up to the Homestead. Perfect blacktop and banked twisties and a waterfall overlook to boot. It is fresh in my mind as I was just on it. Rt 39 is great too though they had the road closed this weekend and we could not get to Goshen's Pass. The rivers are running strong now which was great. We are lucky in VA to have so many great roads. I could sit here all day and keep going just thinking about them. Have fun and ride safe!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts