GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Vendor
16,399 Posts
For me ... I like 80-82, overcast, and windy. The windier the better.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I dont mines riding in the 45 to 80 to 85 range, my preferd is 60 to 75

·
Registered
879 Posts
20°C - 27°C for me. My wife would prefer a minimum of 35°C, she's usually comfortable when my riding boots are sticking to the asphalt! I find it weird that in spring we can comfortably ride all day at 10°C and happy to do so, but come November when it drops to 10°C we're putting our bikes away cause its just too darn cold to ride!

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
No ice or snow, I'll ride into the low teens F. Hot weather I'm good to about 105F or so with my Roadcrafter.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Humidity is just as important or more important than temperature to us. I grew up in the desert and would ride in the low 100s and as long as you had a way to wet your riding gear it felt kind of cool. On the other had the humidity here makes even the low 90s uncomfortable.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
80 degree's. At night. Standing on the foot pegs, leaning over the front handlebars gives you the feeling that you are flying. Although I like doing it better on my ZX-14 because you can't see the bike at all.

·
Registered
242 Posts
On my previous Goldwing (1978) I remember not minding cooler weather and didn't seen to get too wet in the rain. but that was years ago. So although I bought my 2018 a while ago I was too chicken to ride it home in the cold. Finally I put on all my ski clothing and brought it home at 50F. It was great and I have been riding almost every day. Finally got to about 60F reduced the skiwear by half and called some friends for a ride:

First, 600 Yamaha says its too cold and after about 1 hours turns to go home. I went on 3 more hours.
Next same 600 Yamaha I say wear ski clothes so he wears neck warmer, big gloves, longjohns. About 1 hour he goes home. Next 3 times he wont go.
Next VT750 she tells me its too cold (60) 5 times she wont go. One sunny day she said it looks cloudy.
Next VT1100 Shadow. About half an hour we stop and he is too cold so I give my warm gloves and turn on grip heaters. 15 minutes later he is still to cold so go home. When we stopped I took off my Tourmaster inner lining.
All through March and April the same thing. I am now no inner lining, summer gloves, no long johns and no friends. This bike is very warm but sometimes sad and lonely.

G.

·
Registered
892 Posts
People ask me all the time what temperature do I prefer to ride in. My answer is always 65 degrees. It’s cool enough to be comfortable wearing all my safety gear, yet not so cool that I need supplemental heat. But, if I had a choice I’d always prefer riding in colder temps (down to about 25 degrees) than riding when it’s hot (above 85). What temperature do you guys prefer?
Well there goes the theory that old folks like warmer temps. There are a lot of folks here that like riding in the colder temps. I don't handle the cold well, even AFTER I've put on 50 pounds. I always thought that because I was so skinny, and had no "padding", that was the reason I felt the cold more. Well I've gone from about 135 lbs to 185 lbs in the last year, per Doctor's orders, and I STILL feel the cold. I hate cold weather.

Give me 95 and sunny over 50 anyday!!! I can handle the heat.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I love wearing my heated jacket, now that It's fixed (I had a bad control) ....Aaaaaaaaaaaa nothing better than heat against my body.............while riding, on a cool day......

Ronnie

·
Registered
685 Posts
For me ... I like 80-82, overcast, and windy. The windier the better.
I'm the opposite. I prefer cooler (60's is perfect) but can enjoy most any temp until upper 80's. Hate the wind. For most everything I do outside. Yardwork, golf, fishing, riding-all of it. It makes me especially annoyed with a "gusty" wind.

·
Registered
588 Posts
75 to 80 for me. I always wear a jacket, and at 75 its comfortable to wear my new Klim mesh jacket which allows for decent airflow even with the fairing of the Wing. I can wear lightweight gloves and summer riding boots and a 3/4 rather than full faced helmet. Yet its not so warm as to be uncomfortable even when stopped at a red light in the bright sun. But I will say that yesterday was a great day for riding here in northern Illinois, with the temps between 60 and 65 but I did wear a full faced helmet, a heavier jacket and heavier gloves and boots.

For me, the absolutely perfect ride is when its in the 75 to 80, bright sun and blue skies, little wind, and its early on a Sunday morning with almost no cars on the roads. Riding through almost empty streets for the first 10 minutes or so until I get outside the city and then leisurely riding curvy country roads. If I get to occasionally drop a gear or two and do a fast pass of a slower car or truck, where I briefly get up to 85 or so on an open two lane, then the ride is even more perfect. To do this type ride, with a good restaurant for a lunch stop two hours later makes it about a totally perfect ride and day. A ride like I just described is one where I find myself thinking "life doesn't get any better than this".

·
Registered
151 Posts
50-60 degrees. The denser, cooler air helps the engine perform better.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Well I enjoy the challenge and have ridden in temperature range from -6 to 108 degrees. 40 to 80 degrees is fantastic especially if it’s not raining.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts