GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize this question opens the flood gate for opinions, however, solid experience is welcome - My 2006 Wing now has 13,500 on the ODO and I have no experience with the selection of Brake Pad choices on the market.

With the issues from wear life and brake dust to pad squeal and wear on the brake rotors, what recommendations do you have? I will purchase OEM Honda Pads if that appears to be the pads of choice...

Appreciate your input... Happy Holidays to all!

JW
Tampa, FL

·
Registered
118 Posts
Any opinions on this, asked before but no one answered. Someone once posted about swapping pads around as the front left if I remember correctly wears so much more than the others do. I have a new set of OEMs and each has a different part # however if you order EBC pads the part # is the same for all 3. By the way I wouldnt use any except the honda oems.
John

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Johnnyva said:
I have a new set of OEMs and each has a different part # however if you order EBC pads the part # is the same for all 3.
Yep, they are technically the same sized holders. However, the OEM rear is thicker and the fronts come with backing plates to help with the squeal.

My EBC's didn't seem to last as long. I didn't notice any difference in stopping.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Johnnyva said:
I was thinking of just swapping the fronts. Any opinions?
I believe the squeak shims are on the outboard pad, therefore a right and left part#.. Not sure about the EBCs.

·
Registered
148 Posts
go with the oem. i replace mine with the galfer pad from direct line and i find they don't stop as well or last as long. they don't even sell them anymore.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Honda for rear; they're the thickest.
Galfer is quieter up front and stop a little better than stock. EBC and Emgo are cheap...
Ferodo STOPS the bike but wear fast.
I like SBS the best so far for the front pads.

Don't forget to change your fluid once in a while too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Arn Butt

What the hell do you know about wearing out brake pads Arn Butt? The miles you log... I thought you just twist the right grip... To heck with stopping.

No seriously, I appreciate the input... I have heard before that the OE Honda Rear Pad set is thicker but this is a good reminder.

JW

·
Registered
578 Posts
I was always told that you should not reverse brake pads because they have a wear pattern established that "could" affect the integrity of the pad if used in the opposite direction.

Brakes & Tires.........DON'T SKIMP.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
wrenched said:
I was always told that you should not reverse brake pads because they have a wear pattern established that "could" affect the integrity of the pad if used in the opposite direction.
Brakes & Tires.........DON'T SKIMP.
I don't think that they'd fall apart or anything. The pads do "machine" themselves to the rotor they were living on but they'll do that again with the other rotor; the first few stops will have less surface to surface and stopping will be less efficient.
But I hear ya; there's times when you shouldn't stretch that buck.
It's sorta like flipping over toilet paper and using the other side. Unless you're in a battle zone and living on MRE's, you should just buy more.

·
Registered
617 Posts
It's sorta like flipping over toilet paper and using the other side. Unless you're in a battle zone and living on MRE's, you should just buy more.
LOL!!! Just changed out my pads on my 2008 (12,700 miles..2nd owner)..I went with OEM..I have used EBC on previous Wing (1500) and they seemed ok.

·
Premium Member
5,626 Posts
OEM pads have always been fine by me.

The front pads can be used on the opposite side from their labeled use, just pop the backing plate off and put it on the other pad. I have never done that as I always replace all pads when any are due.

·
Registered
59 Posts
How can people need new pads at 12,000 miles??? 60K on my 2010 and bought new. Pads show about 40% of original depth remains when put new tires on this month. Always get 60-80,ooo on pads on bikes. Even the KLR went 55,000 and it spent half of life in water and dirt off road.

·
DSI Keeper
9,234 Posts
Where and how you ride will determine your pad like. I have 47,000 on my 2014 and it will be soon due for a set. Maybe 3-4000 miles remaining. The set I put on will be the 5th set. I ride in the mountains as much as I can get away with. Not sure where you ride but I bet it is fairly flat.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts