GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any body have these LED fog lights from EC and what do you think about them?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am using the amber and think they do what i want them to do they produce additional light to the front of the motorcycle. That said they DO NOT function as the normal driving/fog lights that will light up your road. I use the PIAA 1100 lights mounted under the front cowling for that purpose.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I've got a set I'm going to install as soon as I get a free minute. Will let you know then.

Dep

·
Registered
552 Posts
tequilaroy said:
Does any body have these LED fog lights from EC and what do you think about them?

I think they would be very bright... which is good if you are riding a gold wing. You want bright lights in a gold wing so people think you are a truck and move out of the way.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dep said:
I've got a set I'm going to install as soon as I get a free minute. Will let you know then.

Dep
Dep, When you get them installed, let me know and I may ride up to take a look at them if you don't mind.

Roy

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Sure thing, Roy.

I just painted a spare lower cowl black, but it looks like it's going to take another coat. Soon as it's done, I'll hook them up and give ya a holler.

Dep

·
Registered
57 Posts
I too would love to get your feedback on them. I have been looking at them, but concerned they might look goofy..... of course, that would make the my bike look goofier than it does with me aboard ;-)

·
Registered
840 Posts
Dep, what kind of paint did you use on the cowling? I'm about to redo mine

·
Registered
419 Posts
I am running the white LED's on my bike now for the last month or so. They do exactly what they are advertised to do - they make you much more visible from the front. They are not advertised as being able to help you see down the road and they certainly do not. If your headlights were not working these lights probably would not show 5' of road in front of you.

I like mine very much and I have received comments from people that have saw me coming about how much they show up. For the price, these are a very good addition.

The white LED's are a very light blue in color when they are on. I have mine wired through a switch, but, I never turn them off. If the bike is running the lights are on. That's another nice thing about LED's - very low amp draw.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Most of the benefit in LED lighting right now is longevity and cost savings.
When LEDs first started to be measured for light intensity, they used the (if I spell this right) candelas as the unit of measure. If I remember right, this is a unit like micrometers is to inches. Its tiny in comparison. Since then they have been working hard at trying to get LEDs brighter.
Now LEDs are starting to appear on the market as replacements for incandescent bulbs. But when you read the advertising, its 99% about cost savings. They avoid the comparison of actual light thrown by the bulb. And not all LEDs are manufactured the same. I purchased some ultra high intensity LEDs this year for kicks, and once I got them lit in the dark I decided they had little practical usage for me. On the other hand, I got one of those shaker LED flashlights. It doesn't throw light the way a incandescent bulb does, but I will never have to look for batteries again.
If you have the chance to see what they actually look like at night, you may think their not worth it.

Although some folks arn't looking for spot lights, there, just another cool type of running light. And since the LEDs can come in cool blue, they can look pretty nice to someone looking at you.

If you get em, let us know what you decided.
dw

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Winger,

I used Plastic Enamel by Valspar. It's a gloss black. Adheres to plastic without need for sanding or priming. At least that's what the can says..LOL.

I messed up a couple of spots (dang rattle can) so I'm going to smooth them out and respray.

I thought about using spray on truck bed liner like some of the guys on here used, but I'm not sold on the textured look.

Soon as I get it finished up, I'll see about posting a pic.

Dep

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Here's a pic:

They don't light the road at all. They do serve their purpose and make you more visible.

Mine are rigged to blink with the turn signals. It's a neat effect.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I got the amber LED lights.

It is to make me more visible to other traffic.

I chose LED over the more intense incandescent because they are more rugged and have a much greater life.

In combination with the yellow turn signals being illuminated as running lights and the dual headlights I feel more visible than most of the other bikes on the road.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts