GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2008 Airbag edition. We recently had the front brake lines changed (either road debris or some chemical wore off the black plastic and left the inner brake lines exposed however no leak at that time or now). We have put about 180 miles since then but just yesterday I thought it felt like the brakes were applied after going over railroad tracks, thus making it more difficult to accelerate. Today I once again briefly had difficultly maintaining highway speeds but then things felt OK again. Sometimes in the morning the front brake level seems to be almost too easy to squeeze (on the #5 setting I can bring the lever within an inch of the grip) while at other times the lever is so tight that I can't squeeze it any more. FWIW I disabled the anti-dive years ago (when we put monotubes on).

A few years ago we had a full brake lock up, I don't want to go through that again!

Any ideas? I would like to be able to be very educated when I bring it back to the dealer. I already know that it will be one of those situations where it does not replicate when the dealer rides it.

·
Premium Member
1,395 Posts
When is the last time the calipers were thoroughly cleaned or rebuilt? I had similar issues with my 03, plus the dreaded brake shudder. When I replaced the pads, I replaced the slide pins and cleaned all the pistons. Since then, I haven't had an issue. Might be something to consider. Something for the dealer to look at, did they remove the front wheel when they replaced your brake lines? If so, when they reinstalled the front wheel they may not have centered the wheel, rotors, and calipers correctly, causing the brakes to drag.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Also is the return "hole" in the front master cylinder clean...?? Allowing fluid to return as needed and not keeping pressure on the caliper pistons.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, they are all good answers that I will bring up to the dealer.

MountainRider: I know the front wheel came off because I also had them put on new tires so yes it can be an issue.

DBohrer and Richard Clem: I was kind of thinking it might be something in the reservoir/master cylinder and now that you mention it I do remember something from days gone by about that return hole.

This morning I thought I would test the front brake lever on setting 5 (closest to the grips) and I could have made the level touch the grip if I wanted to, yet yesterday afternoon the lever was so hard I couldn't move it (and had subsequent braking during the ride). At one point on the ride home I had trouble maintaining 60 mph on an open highway. So maybe air in the lines? Temperature sensitive for some reason?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Did you investigate to determine if any of the rotors were hot?? It doesn't take much brake drag to heat up rotor(s) and it's pretty easy to tell if they are "warmer" than normal or the other(s). An inexpensive infa-red heat gun is really handy and accurate (enough).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts