GL1800Riders Forums banner

61 - 80 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
I can do it in Camrose Alberta Canada if any one is in the area and needs it done have a nomar changer I use for freinds and family also have trailer tools and lift if your in a bind

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I have a NoMar tire changer that I am willing to use to change out tires. It works on Dunlop E3's so it should do most car tires. I take my time when working so don't be in a big rush. I'm located in northeastern Massachusetts. I use dyna beads for balancing. No charge (except for the beads) to all GW riders.

·
Registered
698 Posts
MHKS (Manassas Honda) In Manassas VA (Northern VA, DC suburbs) has agreed in the past to mount and balance CTs.
FYI: been very happy with them for service as well.

Funny, when I asked about butting a BT45 on the front they acted like I was insane, crash and burn, etc.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
NOTE: I read this thread in which lots of folks volunteer to change CT for those riders on 'on the road'. It really humbling to see that many good folks on a moto forum. Thank you so much.

You have dispelled my reluctancy to go DS while on the road. Thank you so very much to every one...wow!

·
Registered
775 Posts
I am located just off of I 64, in southern indiana, about 55 miles west of Louisville Kentucky. I can (and have for several folks), mount car tires. As like many others, I keep a spare one mounted for anyone to try.

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
I'm pretty slow at doing it and I work full time at my real job and then try to ride on weekends so you'll need to be a bit flexible on schedule but I can help out with this for folks around Arlington, TX. (Arlington is in North Texas / DFW area...or if you are passing through and find yourself needing help...that's cool too)

There's also a little tire shop down the street that has mounted them in the past for $10. (which honestly....is tempting for me as mounting a RF CT is kind of a pain with my manual changer, but I'm getting better / faster at it.

Regardless...hanging out with a fellow Winger changing a tire is kind of fun so I'd certainly be willing to help.

Also have a spare rim / tire if anyone ever gets in a bind.

·
Registered
610 Posts
SSNCOB,
I think I may have met you at Fall Creek Falls SP either last year or the year before. Anyway, I need to find out when I could bring a wheel and new tire to you for some changing help. Do you still do this? If so, let me know the info and when would be a good time. I can't ride, since I was bad and let it go to the danger point. It is the rear tire. Once I get that done, I can ride it to get the front one changed, for which I also have a new tire. Just bought both a couple of days ago. Just need the change assistance.
Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Know Anyone in SoCal that changes?

New to Cali (Ventura County) and need to get my CT changed soon. Have not found anyone in the region yet. Now I need help finding a place to take it locally ...

Does anyone know of others in the greater LA area that are willing to change it ?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Help Getting to the Dark Side In PA

Hello to all, new member or at least new poster.

And as one would suspect I want/need something.

I live in Harrisburg, PA 17070 and need to get a CT mounted and balanced.

I have a 2015 BMW R 1200RT LC

The Tire is: 205/50ZR-17 BF Goodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S XL - UTQG: 400 AA A

Greg Rice has recommended this tire for the RT and is running it himself.

I have bought a spacer and the appropriate lug nuts from Jim Ryan.

So can anyone within a hundred miles help me out?

I would certainly pay you for your time and help.

Thank You,
Lee

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Well, I am more than 100 miles from you, but your welcome to come use my machine to change your tire. Roughly 160 miles from you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, I am more than 100 miles from you, but your welcome to come use my machine to change your tire. Roughly 160 miles from you.
Thank you so much! I may have to make that run and not a big deal. Will come on the bike and get a run in of the CT home.

Do you have the means to balance it? I do have one tube of Dyna Beads. The tire also has a Blue Dot so I assume that is opposite of valve stem and TPS sensor?

Lee

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I do have a bubble balancer, but am limited in weights. Dyna beads would be your best bet. Weekends are the best time for me. What size is your tire?
Blue dot, yes I would think it is the lighter side. Color depends on the manufacturer. If the rim is off the bike, Walmart usually does them without a problem. Others jaus say its for their trailer or trike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you all! Got it done and 100 mile ride in. Cool stuff. Will take a bit to adjust but nothing to strange right off that bothers me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well got my tire mounted today. Mounted in one place for 10 bucks, and balanced at another for 10 bucks.

Here is the two together.

Here is the work by Jim for the spacer and the cut down lugs.

And on the bike.

Will take a bit of getting used to. I got about 100 miles in today. Nothing technical but a few twisties. Tomorrow I will be running a bit harder so I will see.

Over all no big deal just a bit more effort to get it to lean over but other than that no issues.

It fell into the bead when getting changed with no effort. I had cleaned the bead really well and I said something about the TPS and not sloping it with a lot of lube. He listened and it went right on in the tire shop.

It took a lot of weight to balance but the guys told me it would and it did. Pretty smooth running down the road but I know it is going to take a bit more effort to run technical roads but I think it will be fine.

So far no surprises no rubs, and the ride is not affected in any way except it is a different feeling

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I have a spare rim with a new Yoko Envigor ZPS installed. I have a Michelin Primacy PA3 ZP on the bike. Both are available for people to try. I cannot change the tires myself. I have tried and I have talked to Rail about how to do it but I guess I am a little thick. I bought my local mechanic the nylon clamp protectors for his Coats tire machine and he charges me 10.00 to mount a tire so for the money, I will pass on doing it myself. I am located just west of Toronto Ontario Canada.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Well got my tire mounted today. Mounted in one place for 10 bucks, and balanced at another for 10 bucks.

Here is the two together.

Here is the work by Jim for the spacer and the cut down lugs.

And on the bike.

Will take a bit of getting used to. I got about 100 miles in today. Nothing technical but a few twisties. Tomorrow I will be running a bit harder so I will see.

Over all no big deal just a bit more effort to get it to lean over but other than that no issues.

It fell into the bead when getting changed with no effort. I had cleaned the bead really well and I said something about the TPS and not sloping it with a lot of lube. He listened and it went right on in the tire shop.

It took a lot of weight to balance but the guys told me it would and it did. Pretty smooth running down the road but I know it is going to take a bit more effort to run technical roads but I think it will be fine.

So far no surprises no rubs, and the ride is not affected in any way except it is a different feeling
LAF,

What is the purpose of the spacer? Why is a spacer being used?

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
Why the spacer?
LAF,

What is the purpose of the spacer? Why is a spacer being used?

The bike in the pic is not a GL1800. Spacer is probably needed to keep the tire from rubbing in that application.

Back to the purpose of this sticky thread....

I'll have a new shop finished in a month or so. Let me know if anyone is in the DFW area and I can help you with a tire change. I'm finally getting pretty good with my HF changer, mojo bar and wood blocks.

61 - 80 of 109 Posts