GL1800Riders Forums banner

101 - 111 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'm by Zephyrhills Florida and trying to find some where to get one mounted. Waiting to see if there is a shop that will sell and install or I can order my own. Don't mind travelling to get it done.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I can do it for a few bucks or whatever you would like to leave for a tip. I have changed garden tractor tires up to tires for a 16,000 lb. 5th wheel camper. I do it all by hand using a tire lever bar that has plastic tips. I have never scratched an aluminum wheel. Here is my set up: Changing tires on a GL1800 wheel PM me for contact info.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anyone in central Illinois? Bought a new p1 and a spare rim to use as my 1st time darkside. I saw someone that listed their # with 618 area code, southern Illinois I believe. Would prefer closer if possible, will try myself if nobody near

·
Registered
534 Posts
I'm by Zephyrhills Florida and trying to find some where to get one mounted. Waiting to see if there is a shop that will sell and install or I can order my own. Don't mind travelling to get it done.
I assume you will be bringing in your tire and not the bike. You don't want to make this a long adventure. More time for someone to get curious. Just pop in with your tire/wheel and the new one and ask for a mount and a lot of times they will do it right then or you might have to wait until a tire guy frees up. If they ask about the wheel, just say a buddy gave it to you for your trailer and you have no idea what they came off of and that's why you brought it in.

If you go to the more independent tire stores and not the chains they seem more flexible. I also ask them not to balance it.
Since I use Ride-on in my tires, it handles my balancing, and I sure don't want wheel weights on that tire.

I live in Plant City / Brandon area and used local shops around the area with no problem.. You can also try the chain stores and they will likely work as well.
And just in case you decide to use a directional tire, make sure to tell them its for the left side of the trailer. Most tires are not directional.

Once you get your tire installed, then that will now be your go to place for future installs as they will remember you. Also mention that when your car/truck needs tires, they will be your new store ;-)
Helps to add a little sugar along the way.. And if one shop says they don't bother with single tires, just try another one. I did that several times as well. No Biggie.

I get my tires from TireRack like a lot of us do, and it is WAY cheaper than getting a dealer to get you one. BTW, I also use a Runflat.. Bridgestone Driveguard
If you use a Runflat, make sure to let them know, as it is a slightly harder tire to install and you don't want some tire jockey going crazy on your rim ;-)

·
Registered
428 Posts
I need help in Las Vegas, Nevada area. My 65 year old body just doesn’t have the strength it used to. I just can’t get the last half of my Goodyear run flat over the rim. Anybody around?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Will do the same here in Arkansas.

However, at the moment I don't have an extra tire. My extra is on the bike so I can save the good one for my trip in September. When I get back, whats left on the trip tire will be available for someone to try out. ?
Hey Monk! You still around in ARK? I live near Joplin and have my own spare. Was going to try Discount Tire in Joplin but if your offer still goes...

·
Administrator
4,099 Posts
I need help in Las Vegas, Nevada area. My 65 year old body just doesn’t have the strength it used to. I just can’t get the last half of my Goodyear run flat over the rim. Anybody around?
Sure don't want to insult you but you do know that doing everything you can to get the tire rim down in the center of the rim sure makes things a LOT easier.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,590 Posts
Hey Monk! You still around in ARK? I live near Joplin and have my own spare. Was going to try Discount Tire in Joplin but if your offer still goes...
Yes, I'm still down here in the Arkansas River Valley. I always have a couple of tires on extra rims for someone to try. If you would like to try one for a day or so, then come on down sometime. Laying that bike over and doing a tire change will take less than 30 minutes (y) . It would be pretty easy to get a couple hundred miles on a tire in a day. That should give you enough information to decide if you would like to continue with this darkside thing.

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
Coming to the party a little bit late ;) but looking for suggestions in the Portland OR/ SW WA area.
Thanks

101 - 111 of 111 Posts