GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a fender extender that you just glue on. I do not want to drill any hole and use any screws or any brackets, etc, etc.

I have read many posts that detail fender's cracking / breaking due to extenders that are screwed / bolted on.

So I would like to hear from someone who has this extender - only used ABS glue or cement to glue it on.

Thanks for the information.

Zeebo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Red said:
zeebo said:
I have read many posts that detail fender's cracking / breaking due to extenders that are screwed / bolted on.

Zeebo
FYI.... The fenders aren't cracking where the extension bolts on.
RED...

I think you have an extender on your and have not had any problem. Which one is it?? Also, where are the cracks happening if not at the screws that are used to secure the extension??

Thanks.

Zeebo
 

·
Chard Member
Joined
·
13,219 Posts
I use the Big Bike Medallion extension. About $23. I've used it on my 18's since it came out. It's just long enough to keep most of the crud off of the lower cowl.

The fenders are breaking where the chrome caliper covers are bolted to the rear section of the fender. Just too much pressure in that thin area. Just my opinion. I also think when riding in the rain with the longer ext that water pressure can really play a part in a problem because of so much force applied low on the fender.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,027 Posts
I used Quick Draws method of Gluing the Bushtic and it worked great. I cant find the thread just yet, but it is out there. I had to work fast the only glue I could find was 4 min set. There is 15 min set Devcon ABS Weld if you can find it. A Hint!!! Don't do it in the kitchen on the table. The whole house will stink for days. If you can compare the hold quality to the smell, it wont ever come off. Mine has been on for over 18 K and no problems so far.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,033 Posts
KJ5IX said:
I used Quick Draws method of Gluing the Bushtic and it worked great. I cant find the thread just yet, but it is out there. I had to work fast the only glue I could find was 4 min set. There is 15 min set Devcon ABS Weld if you can find it. A Hint!!! Don't do it in the kitchen on the table. The whole house will stink for days. If you can compare the hold quality to the smell, it wont ever come off. Mine has been on for over 18 K and no problems so far.
Soooo....George, just how long was it glued to the kitchen table. :lol: :lol:
DC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,033 Posts
Red said:
I use the Big Bike Medallion extension. About $23. I've used it on my 18's since it came out. It's just long enough to keep most of the crud off of the lower cowl.

The fenders are breaking where the chrome caliper covers are bolted to the rear section of the fender. Just too much pressure in that thin area. Just my opinion. I also think when riding in the rain with the longer ext that water pressure can really play a part in a problem because of so much force applied low on the fender.
YEP. That's where my 02 broke, big time, and you may be right about the hydraulic pressure Red, but I know the breakage occurred in the last year I owned it and due to medical reasons we never rode in the rain that year. So mine, at least, broke without any assistance from water pressure. Interesting though, that when I just installed the new extension on the 07, it went on with the two common drilled holes on the sides. But there was also two stamped out steel brackets that attacked to those side bolts, and ran up the inner sides of the fender to fasten to the original Honda steel threaded brackets that hold the fender to the forks. Gives the lower part of the fender (near the extension) a lot of support. :)
DC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
626 Posts
I glued the Bushtec extension on my fender back when the Bushtec extentsion first came out, no problems since. Really don't remember what glue I used. sorry about that. Mine is color matched, really like the looks without the screws, more like part of the fender not just added on.
 
G

·
I also glued on my extension. I found some two-part epoxy made specifically for abs plastic at a local hardware store. To secure the extension while the epoxy set up, I used some rubber tipped c-clamps to prevent paint damage. Areas where I applied epoxy were scuffed with 320 grit sandpaper and cleaned with automotive enamel reducer prior to gluing.

The clamp style:

Closeup of where I epoxied:


Notice, I also epoxied the aluminum brace to the fender:


Almost two years since I did it and close to 18,000 miles and no problems. Go slow and be neat with the epoxy. You don't want to try to remove it from places that will show later!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,015 Posts
I installed a fender extension about 40k miles ago. I cant remember what brand it is. It did come with brackets, bolts and all that. I did not want to drill into my fender either. I used the two part epoxy and glued it from the inside. That sucker isnt coming off I can promise you that. It has not caused any problems and my lower cowl stays clean. I also belive that alot of people are hitting these things on speed bumps and not knwing it. I have seen some that hang down pretty low, so I could see where this could happen. I do know mine is not the Honda. I took it out to the bike one day at the dealer, and it didnt extend down that far.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,169 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,215 Posts
I have the Big Bike Medallion extension, added a lower "mud flap" made from black ABS, used two 1/4" machine screws to hold mud flap to bottom of fender.
10K on the flap & no cracks in my fender..
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top