GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a 6k mi. journey on some less that fun roads around chicago came home to my rear fender tabs torn off and bouncing around. It had a showchrome extender on it fpr past 8 or 9 years. Tried to fix with some abs and glue but it wasn't working out. Found a set in the correct color (A & B ) on ebay and just installed . Wondering if i should bother with another extender or not?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Do you feel lucky? Guess you could prorate the cost of the next fender and start saving your money now....for the inevitable outcome. B.

·
Registered
125 Posts
After a 6k mi. journey on some less that fun roads around chicago came home to my rear fender tabs torn off and bouncing around. It had a showchrome extender on it fpr past 8 or 9 years. Tried to fix with some abs and glue but it wasn't working out. Found a set in the correct color (A & B ) on ebay and just installed . Wondering if i should bother with another extender or not?
From the research I did before I installed my fender extender, I got the impression that if the extender is installed with screws, the fender is likely to eventually crack and break. If you use good quality double stick tape and no screws, the fender will not crack or break. I've had mine one for 4 years now with no issues. YMMV

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I had one on my F6B for 3 years.
I got rid of it as I was fearful that something on the road would get stuck between the extender and tire and rip up the whole fender.
Driving on loose gravel sounded like a coffee can full of marbles.
Good riddance to it.
I had on the Fenda Extenda which I had glued on to the bottom of the stock fender.
To get it off, I used a fine coping saw followed by filing and finally sanding.
You'd never know it was there.
To protect the oil filter and overflow tank, I installed a Murph's oil filter protector and fabricated my own aluminum coolant reservoir cover.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’m pretty sure the extra weigh and years of bumps tore the tabs. After hearing what you all have to say I’m not doing it again, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
17,372 Posts
Rarely do I see lower front fender damage when a Hondaline fender extension is added. All others extend the fender into the danger zone of the extension hitting pavement and breaking the fender.

The part # for the Hondaline extension is 08P08-MCA-100. I believe they are still available.

Below is a link to a tutorial on how to check for add'l damage that often occurs when having long extensions installed. To protect your plastic, be sure to replace all damaged/broke parts.

·
Registered
288 Posts
My Dad cut down a rubber mud flap made from the back of a wing and screwed that to his front fender. That way he avoided the "hitting the ground" problem but protected his bike. Just an idea to think about.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rarely do I see lower front fender damage when a Hondaline fender extension is added. All others extend the fender into the danger zone of the extension hitting pavement and breaking the fender.

The part # for the Hondaline extension is 08P08-MCA-100. I believe they are still available.

Below is a link to a tutorial on how to check for add'l damage that often occurs when having long extensions installed. To protect your plastic, be sure to replace all damaged/broke parts.

Thanks for this Greg

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
See post #2 from this old thread. In fact, just recently made another one for a friend's 04. Used an old trailer stone flap I found on the roadway one day...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts