GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put an extension on front fender of my 07 Air Bag. Show Chrome has the one i want. Called about it an was told it will fit, but it could activate the air bag or keep it from activating. Anyone use this brand on an Air Bag? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Your choice.

It will not activate the air bag.

The reason they say not to put stuff on the front wheel is because the sensors that deploy the airbag could be or might be effected by any extra weight or mass on the front. The sensors work by sensing a sudden stop or sudden non travel.

Would a fender extender that weighs .......not much do that. Dunno.

Could, might, might not. Your choice.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kit. My computer has been down a few days so this is the first time in a while that I have had the chance to check the site.

Has anyone had any issues with the Show Chrome fender extension?

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
I would first do a search about cracked fenders caused by most any extension that is hard plastic. The rear half of the front fender is pricey, and I've decided cleaning or letting the lower cowl get dirty beats replacing the expensive fender. Someone did fashion one from a softer material (a black mouse pad?) that flexed and did not break the fender. Just a caveat.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Well ya know, call it like it is.

I would most likely not use on on the front of an air bag bike, anything that will slow the mass and slow the inertia might cause the system to not function if needed.

But, this cracked fender stuff, I have used the good show chrome long extended fender extender on two bikes, and never even a hair line crack.
This one has internal braces that you install inside the fender , you have to tap a hole in the fender and one in the front fork for one bolt.
The holes are there, you just have to tap them .

I have seen cracked fenders but I helped a guy with an air filter last week and he had stripped out just about every fastener on the top shelter, ya know if tight is good, tighter is better type thing.

If you install them carefully, make sure the fender is fitted right, install all the fasteners loosely first and run them down a little at a time making sure nothing is stressed or out of place, and do not use a torque wrench with a three foot handle, ............it is common sense. Just snug on fasteners on plastic.

I have went to change a front tire for someone and take the front fender off and have the fender tabs fall off in my hand, why?? Cause they used that three foot wrench last time.

·
Registered
19,055 Posts
Honda recommends not to install a fender extension on an ABS bike
Your call:coffee1:

·
Registered
514 Posts
It cracked.

I have a long, plastic extension on my '02. All was well until I installed a Sport Demon rear tire on the front. It expanded at speed, I guess, and ended up cracking the fender and the chrome thingies that hold it on.

At least, that's what I think happened. May have been caused by a speed bump. Took the tire off, put on a 'stone and the extension, no more problem.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I want to put an extension on front fender of my 07 Air Bag. Show Chrome has the one i want. Called about it an was told it will fit, but it could activate the air bag or keep it from activating. Anyone use this brand on an Air Bag? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
My dealer said you cannot put a fender extensoion on the air bag model because it is closer to the tire.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I would first do a search about cracked fenders caused by most any extension that is hard plastic. The rear half of the front fender is pricey, and I've decided cleaning or letting the lower cower get dirty beats replacing the expensive fender. Someone did fashion one from a softer material (a black mouse pad?) that flexed and did not break the fender. Just a caveat.
Yes my fender cracked to the tune of $191 for replacement.

·
Registered
61 Posts
What happened to the good ol rubber mud flap? Ya know the ones that where on the 1500 and 1200's? Why doesnt anyone sell those?

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I've had my Show chrome fender extender on since 06,and it's hasn't caused any issues.

As far as a air bag model.Well there are a number of aftermarket parts that won't fit a air bag model.Not because hey will interfere with the four fork sensors,but because of the four sensors the stock parts are larger,And not many aftermarket companies want to risk sales on such a small number of Air bag bikes to make parts that will fit a air bagger.

The Fender extension in question should fit without any issue.But I would question the the flat support bars.I have no idea if "They" would be near the sensors or not.

You the OP should look at your bike and see if there is clearance for the support bars without them touching anything (sensors) that are attached to the forks.

Here is the support bars attached.

BTW:
The mark you see on the bar and bottom of the extension was due to a non-stock tire I was testing.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
I have a long, plastic extension on my '02. All was well until I installed a Sport Demon rear tire on the front. It expanded at speed, I guess, and ended up cracking the fender and the chrome thingies that hold it on.
Boy, been there done that. Not that great of a tire either!

·
Banned
11,396 Posts

At least, that's what I think happened. May have been caused by a speed bump. Took the tire off, put on a 'stone and the extension, no more problem.

Mine was the same tire.But my extender didn't fail or hurt my fender.
I did smell rubber burning up at higher speeds.After investigating I found the problem.
I fixed it by elongating the top rear fender holes that moved the bottom of the rear fender back out 1/4 inch away from the tire and as was well again above 120.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Mine was the same tire.But my extender didn't fail or hurt my fender.
I did smell rubber burning up at higher speeds.After investigating I found the problem.
I fixed it by elongating the top rear fender holes that moved the bottom of the rear fender back out 1/4 inch away from the tire and as was well again above 120.
I did the same thing Rocky, but the damage was already done. I could not believe how heavy and unresponsive that tire made the front end feel anywat, so I took it off. Ran it for 2500 miles. Back to the stone. :bow:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I did the same thing Rocky, but the damage was already done. I could not believe how heavy and unresponsive that tire made the front end feel anywat, so I took it off. Ran it for 2500 miles. Back to the stone. :bow:
Chris.I never had any handling issues with any of the three different brands I tried.abnormal wear was my issue as I felt these thicker rubber tires tread blocks flexed way to much when they were pushed on my bike.

Here is that tire after I pulled it.notice the center line groove from the fender extension center bolt.lol (hard to believe rubber can wear a bolt down-but it did instead of cutting through the tire cords)
I just got lucky and caught it in time to save the tire,and my arse.:bow:

·
Registered
20,950 Posts
after about 320,000 miles using a show chrome fender extension the rear half of my front fender broke :cry:
i fixed it with some expensive 3M epoxy and so far it seems to be holding fine, i also removed the fender extension !! they paved my road last year so i don't have to ride on 4 miles gravel everyday :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,699 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
I had close 70k on my last Wing and I didnt think the cowl took hardly any damage. It was something I always wanted but after my last one I will just pass.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts