GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What happened? Looking for clues.
Tues nite, installed the chrome Bushtec fender extension
Drilled the holes, secured with the bolts per the instructions.
Next step is to install the fender supports.
Tapped the boss nuts, cleaned the fender, pulled the strip off the double stick tape, pressed the supports in place, secured snug with the bolts and placed the fender on top of the entertainment center.

Checked it last night, everything looks good, just waiting for the 72 hour cure time.

Came home tonight and both sides of the fender where the side bolts secure the fender extension are cracked. The extension itself is fine, just the fender cracked. I only snugged these bolts, as they would come back off when the adhesive strip cured on the support plates and get a dose of blue loctite then secure them prior to reinstalling the fender on the bike.

Not a happy camper..

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
cracks

If you used loctite on the bolts, the plastic will self destruct.
Loctite will have an adverse affect on any plastic it comes in contact with. JD :biker:

·
Registered
891 Posts
I feel for you Bro.

I have seen another Wing's fender do this ,don't know him just seen it parked.Mind was different Big Bike Parts,did everything as stated,mechanical back ground above average,plus paper work to back it up, The extension hit the cowl,totaly insain,their response the cowl is on wrong,That show me how much a parts boy known ,zip,nada,not worth the minium wage he gets to think. I took my piec of junk off and just put reflectors over the frekin holes.I think that half of the fender is 135 bucks. Good luck,and some thing aint what they seem to be. :(

·
Registered
757 Posts
Purple Haze..... I installed a Big Bike Parts F/E on a friends 03 1800 when it had less than 50 mi. on it. I installed it with the bike on the center stand, & when I rolled the bike of the C/S, the bottom of the F/E caught the lower cowling. I put the bike back on the C/S, & the F/E was still stuck on the cowling. The fender was twisted, but not cracked, why I don't know. Thinking it was a bad F/E, I called BBP & received the same answer as you did.

I had installed the same F/E on my 01, & had no problems. I installed his F/E on my bike, & it fit perfect. I took his cowling off, & noticed that one of the cowling mounting brackets on the frame of the bike was bent forward about a 1/2", causing the cowling to be placed to far forward. The bike came from Honda this way. I bent the bracket back, & reinstalled the F/E, & it fit perfect, no problems.

I posted this experience on the board about a yr. ago, & received replies from a few 1800 owners that had the same problem with the bent bracket. Maybe your 1800 has a bent bracket.........EE

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, learn something new everyday.

Loctite, never would have guessed that.

So what do you use to keep the bolts from loosening from the nutplate?

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
MnXWinger:

I don't know if this will make you feel any better
or not, but a Bushtec fender extension is going
to be one of my 2004 additions. And, as I have
learned from this posting, I sure won't be using
any Loctite. I am glad for the heads-up.

·
Registered
994 Posts
G1NOMAD said:
MnXWinger:

I don't know if this will make you feel any better
or not, but a Bushtec fender extension is going
to be one of my 2004 additions. And, as I have
learned from this posting, I sure won't be using
any Loctite. I am glad for the heads-up.
Just another reason to glue the extension on.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've never heard or run into a problem with Loctite and abs plastic. Never gave it a thought. I only put a small drop a each bolt, but I suppose it squeezed out against the underside of the head of the bolt and did it's job.

I sure wish that I'd known this, I was being so damm careful and it looked great on Tues nite, so I decided it was ok to loctite the bolts. I can't think of any other reason that the next night it would be cracked. The cracks look like I torqued the heck out of them, but I didn't. No cracks until the next night. One costly mistake. The extension does look damm good though!

·
Registered
700 Posts
MnXWinger, I shared your email with my tech staff and the common thought is that the hole you drilled was ever so slightly too small for the shoulder on the nut plate which would create sufficient pressure on the ABS to cause the crack. With more than 5,000 FFE's sold, yours is the first report of such a crack. Sorry you had problems.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
John,
Again, thanks for the personal touch.
I think the holes were big enough, but maybe not enough and alignment was off enough, that when tightened, throw in a dash of loctite and poof.
Nothing else makes sense, because it was a delayed crack and not immediate. Just wish I hadn't thrown on the loctite.

The cracks aren't serious enough to keep me from using it until the new fender gets here and try it again. It does look sharp!

·
Registered
67 Posts
MnXWinger did you put it on in the cold then bring it in the house to cure?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nope, all work was done in the house, all the parts since I received them were in the house. At 24 hours into it, it was ok, because I removed the extension bolts, put on a drop of loctite, reinstalled and tightened the bolts, did not crack when I did this. It was between then and the next night that the cracks showed up.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Once I get the new fender, I will do an experiment on the old one with the 'blue' loctite. I would have expected the same, that the plastic would have gone soft and or deformed. As I said, I'm surprised that the extension didn't crack at all. John from Bushtec mentioned that it might have been the shoulder of the nutplate that caused it as the bolt was tightened. However, the 'shoulder' on the nutplate rides into the extension, not the fender.

If this was the issue, the extension would have cracked, not the fender. There is sufficient surface of the extension underneath the fender to provide a flat support for the bolt to lay flat against it. The nut plate portion that protruded into the fender material had a gap around it during the during the dry fit, but maybe I didn't have this hole big enough, that when I tighten each side down, alignment shifted and it created some stress at these points. Then either the loctite on the bolts or the curing of the supports, created enough additional stress to crack it?

John says I'm the first one to have this problem. I was careful about the drilling the holes and alignment of them, all which looked fine. I also put loctite on the bolt on the back of the fender, but that one didn't crack. I like the looks of this extension and will give it another (spendy) shot. But I will drill the holes a little larger this time. I will also install the supports first, then do the extension, the reverse of the instructions.

First time I ever had a issue installing something, not the end of the world, just wish that I could say without doubt, this '' is what caused it.
Hope no one else has this problem, again, the Bushtec extension did not have any cracks or faults, nor do I blame them. Hell, I most likely did something wrong, just have to figure out what.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Dang it!!

Sorry to here about the bad cracks! I still have to find a way to get the supports on my fender. I glued my extension on and may have to do the same with the supports. I just won't trust the tape on the supports without some bolts too. BTW, no cracked fender with the glued extension that I have found, yet.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
With my installation, the fitting of the brackets was the toughest. Seemed no matter how many times I adjusted the brace, a space would show. Even when it looked good, after glueing in place, one bracket was slightly off. Think the most critical area is the possible spacing between the bushing and bracket. One side had a thin spacing, and was enough to twist the bushing on a slight angle. It was tough to get the threads started on this side. Would guess if there was any air space between the bushing and bracket, it would cause excess preassure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts