GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering adding a front fender extension to my 2013 Wing, I've been looking at different models and ready the customer ratings on them and the biggest negative that seems to keep popping up is that a number of people are having issues with the extensions causing cracks in their fenders, As a result....I'm questioning if it is worth the risk by adding one? If I would get one....at this point I'd be leaning towards the Kury one with the rubber extension.

I'm open for comments, suggestions etc.

Thanks.....

·
Registered
212 Posts
First, thanks for the 22 years. I pray you are healthy and safe.

Then, I had the Kury extension, black plastic, on my GL for over 2 years and 65k miles before it disappeared. That's right, it broke off at the fender line. I never had any cracks in the fender but I used very good double-stick tape and the screws were well up from the end of the fender. It really helped protect my radiators and lower front parts. Unfortunately, it didn't help keep the oil filter and drain plug clean.

Forget the looks, you can barely see it. Go with hard black plastic or something similar. Get it as high up as the lip will allow. And put the screws in as far away from the edge of the fender as possible, with still hitting the thick part of the extension.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
7,380 Posts

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
I'm considering adding a front fender extension to my 2013 Wing, I've been looking at different models and ready the customer ratings on them and the biggest negative that seems to keep popping up is that a number of people are having issues with the extensions causing cracks in their fenders, As a result....I'm questioning if it is worth the risk by adding one? If I would get one....at this point I'd be leaning towards the Kury one with the rubber extension.

Thanks.....
I DIDN'T REALIZE THE ISSUES WITH THE FRONT FENDER EXTENDERS . AND HOW LOWER FRONT FENDER MAY be damaged . I would not put one on again. May fender is not damaged but the extender is a little

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
djaecks...

Is this the extension your thinking about? Myself,I like the rubber at the bottom of this extension...it does not go down as low as the all chrome extension but I like it better...

http://wingstuff.com/products/137-chrome-fender-extender-w-rubber-for-gl1800

From what I have read...the fenders don't appear to crack where the extension mounts,they seem to be cracking at the upper rear fender mounting points...

Some people have said, if something gets caught between the fender extension and the tire, it causes the fender attaching points to crack.

IMO, I would bet some of these cracks might be from over tightening the attachment bolts. Just my 2 cents.

Check out the cool extension ssncob made post #4 :thumbup:

John

·
Registered
549 Posts
IMO, I would bet some of these cracks might be from over tightening the attachment bolts. Just my 2 cents.

Its been a long cold winter here but aren't those bolt shoulderd to prevent over tightening? There are lots of threads about broken front fender from various extensions, rarely do you read about one that's cracked where a extension wasn't mounted.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Fenda Extenda

Very light weight and easy to install. Google is your friend ...
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::agree::agree:

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Its been a long cold winter here but aren't those bolt shoulderd to prevent over tightening? There are lots of threads about broken front fender from various extensions, rarely do you read about one that's cracked where a extension wasn't mounted.
You are correct. Just ignore. No extensions here. Been there done that... and paid the price.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I had the cracked fender from the extender " I " put on. Turned out it was too short to do anything anyway. I'm still gun shy but would like one now that I have painted my lower cowl. Gee Honda, can't you make a fender that does something useful ?

·
Registered
460 Posts
I would not do it. I install mine and the fender cracked. It's holding for years (no visible damage) and I'm very careful when taking it off. I would stay away next time. It could get very expensive to replace.....

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Fenda Extenda

Very light weight and easy to install. Google is your friend ...
Their web page does not have a picture of the Fenda for the 1800. Anyone have one ?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Don't put one on...............I thought the same the and add one to the bike.
Kept the bike cleaner, no problems!
Read about everyone else having an issue, but I had none.........That didn't last to long.

Then I had lots. Fixed side covers twice. one year. Then had to replace rear fender and both side brake caliper covers.
For the price of replacement parts. There is no way I would install a fender extender again. JMHO

No problems in 1 1/2 years now. Good luck in your decision

Lee

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Dennis,
I second what Lee says, as I had the same expensive educational experience. When you're cleaning the bike, park it where you can see the lake, sit down with an adult beverage, and enjoy the time it takes to clean the cowl with a good bug & tar remover. BOTTOMS UP!!! John

·
Vendor
17,406 Posts
Get the Hondaline OEM one. It is shorter and less likely to break the lower part of the front fender when the front tire drops into a pot hole.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
It seems like I may be in the minority, but I like the fender extension. Saves the front somewhat and decreases the spray when riding in the rain. I have the Show Chrome on mine and it has metal reinforcing bars that attach to the upper mounting brackets of the rear fender. So far 37,000 miles on all kinds of roads and no problems.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Get the Hondaline OEM one. It is shorter and less likely to break the lower part of the front fender when the front tire drops into a pot hole.
I had a Honda OEM front fender extention put on my 2004 when I bought it new in 2005.
Never had a problem with it causing any damage to the fender but it doesnt really hang down low enough to keep all the crud off the engine front.
It does help some, but if you are looking for full coverage I cant recomend it.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I've got the Kuryakyn fender extension on my '06. Right length and looks good.

No trouble with fender cracking in over a year at this point.

Careful installation is critical:

The trick is to not end up with any alignment problems during install that result in any type of pressure or strain put on the fender itself. For example, if holes must be drilled in the fender, get the extension lined up perfectly and holes drilled in exactly the right place so as not to result in any side forces, etc. after installation. If holes are drilled, use a big washer on the inside of the fender under the retaining nut so as to spread the pressure exerted near that hole.

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Only works if you don't use the front shocks much..
..i.e. Good roads, docile riding, flats of Florida, etc.

If you really ARE going to use the bike for serious x-country riding and varied road conditions, it WILL bust something.

If Honda could have made the OEM fender longer, they would have.

A soft rubber extension might work...
.. I've never used one of those.

Dennis

·
Registered
127 Posts
Fender

image.jpg

I to want the fender extension, I had my dealer install this extension so that I could not be blamed for issues if i had one. Did not help dealer denied any responsibility. I will urge you to look at all of the points of contact bolt holes that attach to the side caliper covers and the holes that mount up the forks. I am in the process of repairing this fender AGAIN. I have ordered a new fender twice but unfortunately it seems there is a issue with the fish on this 12 model. Cant seem to get the exact fender that is on this bike. I will not say no to your idea of adding an extension because I have had Many wings with extensions on the front. But saying this to you even with the thought of making it a dealers problem did not help here. I could give you a couple of ideas why the break fenders but as I see it, this would be pure conjecture on my part, just like others that have not had an issue. You may also notice the extension holes have been filed in and extension is missing from this fender.

The best idea I could offer you is not all tupperware is created equal. Enjoy what ever you would like on your wing and be prepared for what ever result you get.

Your Call,
DOC:bow:

Thanks.....

1 - 20 of 38 Posts