GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced problems or damage after adding an extension to the front fender?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yes, cost me a new read fender tons of threads on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is the 2018+ forum so I'm guessing the question refers to those models. The black rear half of the fender is a different/softer material now and doesn't appear to suffer the same cracking problems. Heaps of (2018+) threads have reported no issues but if there are, I'd like to hear about it, because my fender extension has been on since day one.

·
Registered
2018 Tour, Candy Ardent red
167 Posts
Zero problems so far....

If there are issues relating the the '18-up fender extension, I'd like to at least be aware of them.

What problem did/do you have?

TD

·
Registered
270 Posts
Put mine on last fall w/just 2k miles on my '18 DCT tour. Drilled two holes as recommended and installed the extender. No problems thus far. I asked the same question on this forum and got mixed answers: some saying don't do it, the fender will crack; some saying go for it as the new fenders are made of a better material. I took the plunge. I am happy to say that it does indeed make a difference in keeping the engine a little cleaner.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I have mentioned concern over the length of the extender a couple times in different threads regarding any damage (to rear section of front fender) following install and have not heard of anyone being aware of damage on 18+. I had them on previous models with no problem but was aware it was an issue for others.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Bayrec, I believe Gcube is discussing the FRONT fender extension; should have no affect on the REAR fender.
I have a FRONT extender on my 2018 and it helps keep road-crap off the engine. No problems ever.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Bayrec, I believe Gcube is discussing the FRONT fender extension; should have no affect on the REAR fender.
I have a FRONT extender on my 2018 and it helps keep road-crap off the engine. No problems ever.
I missed some words but corrected it. Thanks - I meant rear section of front fender rather than rear fender.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,226 Posts
The fender extender is one of those accessories that should had been OEM...meaning Honda should had made a one piece rear section as long as the fender extender does it...as it is the aftermarket fender extenders looks great and OEM... and it does a better job of keeping the front of the engine and the front lower cowl cleaner..definitely worth the little bit of money to install it....and unlike with the old model there is no worries about any cracking with the material used for the rear section fender...just another small upgrade that fixed the cracking issue with the old model.

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
Seriously, Solo you been a member for 11 years and posted 6 times! Yeah your the expert! Look at my photo then post yours!
That there is Funny, I don't care what anyone says! Humor with a tad of reality is a wonderful thing!

Reactions: fla_rider

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Seriously, Solo you been a member for 11 years and posted 6 times! Yeah your the expert! Look at my photo then post yours!
That's offsides. What does post count have to do with expertise? And why does your 400+ tally give you any right to go bashing someone who finally felt like saying something?

I don't do a lot of policing of others here. It's not my lane. It's not yours either. This is an exception for me. Perhaps it can be for you, too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts