GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thing about a Vancouver Island ride over a few days. Any tips on Ferry cost or a way to go north to Prince Rupert - Alaska?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Several years ago wife & I and another couple took our wings on the Black Ball ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria B.C. We were each towing a small cargo trailer and they really stuck it too us because we had trailers. Cost the same as if we had a full size car with travel trailer. Tried to explain that our length was not even the length of a car and our weight was not even close. They would not budge on their rate. The rules are the rules, no exception. You got a trailer you pay double. If we didnt already have reservations for the camp grounds that we had to pay in advance we would have told them to bugger off and left.
Wont do that again.:wrong:

·
Registered
36 Posts
REF BC Ferries

I took my GL 1800 on the BC ferries twice this month @ a cost of $54 Cad. that is if you go from the Mainland Swartze Bay to Tawassan or Back. Once here there are lots of great rides up and down the Island. Cheers

:doorag:

·
Registered
109 Posts
The ferry ride from Port Hardy to Prince Rupert is spectacular if you hit good weather! It is expensive however. Sorry I don't remember how much. If you do it I recommend getting a cabin. It adds $99 to the fare but it is great to have a place to go lie down or have a shower if you want to.

The ferry to VI is about 90 minutes. Bikes are first on and nearly first off. The fare is around $55 for bike and rider. They are very efficient. The trip from Tswassen to Victoria is quite beautiful as you go through Active Pass. You will meet the ferry going the opposite direction when you are half way through the pass. Two very large ferries going past each other in a very narrow channel is quite spectacular if you have never seen it!

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Port Angeles to Victoria B.C. .
Can also take ferry from Anacortes to Sydney (close to Victoria). I haven't been on it but you go past a few islands and it looks like an interesting journey.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
My wife and I rode the Horseshoe Bay to Nanaimo and the Sidney to Aanacortes ferries this summer. The BC ferries were really nice like taking a cruise ship compared to the WSF. However the WSF was cheaper largely because if my senior discount.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I took my GL 1800 on the BC ferries twice this month @ a cost of $54 Cad. that is if you go from the Mainland Swartze Bay to Tawassan or Back. Once here there are lots of great rides up and down the Island. Cheers

:doorag:
My wife and I crossed to Vancouver Island this summer and took that ferry. The buffet supper was great. Relatively inexpensive and good quality. The view from the dining room was also nice. I was going to take the ferry to Port Angeles on the way back until I saw that with my trailer it would cost us as much as the Swartze Bay ferry including the 2 buffet suppers so we went with the meal deal instead. :thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts