GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '04 has about 52K mostly trouble free miles. Yesterday while traveling on the interstate at ~75 mph in 5th gear the FI light came on. A few minutes later I noticed the OD light was off but after nudging the gear shift the light came on. The bike felt OK and I continued on for another 65 or so miles before stopping for gas. I didn't want to stop on the interstate fearing it would not start and I would be stuck with a big towing bill.
When I started the bike again the FI light went off and never came on again for the rest of the trip (600 miles) other than at startup.

I was wondering if anyone has had this happen. I am thinking it had something to do with computer needing to sense it was in 5th so it could limit top speed.
BTW when the light was on I could see it was using more gas than usual and not pulling as hard. With the FI light off it was back to normal with good gas mileage and power.

Pete

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
Norton,
You are probably correct but if it ever happens again, stop the bike, leave it running and in neutral and put down the side stand. The FI light will give short flashes and long flashes. They represent a two digit code. That will then tell you what it was sensing. If you don't have the service manual, ask here and we will post what they are.

Good Luck and I hope you don't see it again.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Pull the pin connector on the right side to the gear position sensor, spray it with contact cleaner and put a little dielectric grease on it.

Be my best guess.

Heat, expansion, contraction, bumps, jiggles, a contact barely making contact, that kind of thing.

An O2 can do that , but would not effect the OD light. Check the gear position sensor connector.

Wire ties around them help too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts