GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, I forgot all about this story and had to laugh !!!

Just an FYI, GL1800s have a FI light, and that stands for "fault indicator." Basically, it warns if there is failure developing in the fuel injection system. It does not monitor the cooling or charging system.

True story ... so, if your FI light come on, and your local shop recommend that all your cooling system hoses be replace, and you leave and your FI light comes on, and then they tell you that the water pump needs replaced too, and you leave and your FI light come on, and then they say that now your alternator needs replaced, and you leave and your FI light comes on, you might want to find a shop familiar with GL1800s ... just say'n !!!

Reactions: Kiwi

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should have added ... that guy had all that stuff done ... hoses, water pump, and alternator. The shop eventually referred him to me. If I recall the replacement of his ECM fixed his problem.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,561 Posts
I had the FI light come on twice in the 15 years with my 2003....both times it was while riding in heavy rain all day while on a trip...in both cases the light went off and never lit up again after restarting the bike..still pretty scarcely when your 600 miles from home.

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the FI light come on twice in the 15 years with my 2003....both times it was while riding in heavy rain all day while on a trip...in both cases the light went off and never lit up again after restarting the bike..still pretty scarcely when your 600 miles from home.
Yes ... and then there are those examples too !!! Never count out the possible examples of an FI light coming on because of a bad rain storm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts