GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do so many people buy a Wing and then resell it for what is probably a tremendous financial loss within a year or so with superlow mileages??? I've seen this occur repeatedly and always wonder why? Other than an unforeseen financial hardship what could possibly justify this kind of indecisiveness or lack of forethought?? No insult intended.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Lots of variables. This happens with everything under the sun.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Dunno. I think some want a bike and then decide either that's not the bike for them or riding is not for them. Others look at the low miles on the bike and the amount paid and decide to cut their losses.

·
Chard Member
12,960 Posts
They purchase a Wing then realize there's no windows to roll up and no a/c to turn on. There's probably a million different reasons.

I'm happy people sell almost new Wings for 30% off retail! LOL...

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Red said:
They purchase a Wing then realize there's no windows to roll up and no a/c to turn on. There's probably a million different reasons.

I'm happy people sell almost new Wings for 30% off retail! LOL...
I'm with Red 30% off a new bike is awesome, I'll be searching for the next one like that.. (although mine's barely broken in at 68k) A lot of folks buy a motorcycle with grand visions of touring the country and find that it's cold, wet, exhaust smells, there's wind (gasp)...
The vision is a lot more romantic than the reality for many..
The GL folks that do this, are the same folks that are lured by the "Harley" mystique but don't like leather!!!

·
Registered
272 Posts
I like it too, I have bought 2 1800s with very low miles, the first a 2001 rode it for a while then bought a 2002 with 4000 miles for 12,000.
I can not see buying a new one and paying 5-6k more. The used ones will have acc. on them and already depreciated.
I sold the 2001 for more than I paid for it and the guy got a good deal.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Its not just with the wing it happens with all bikes since most are not able to test ride before buying. We ride bikes for fun and want it to do the right job for us. I've changed riding styles and gotten rid of sportbikes and found the ST1300 a compromise bike. When it comes to 4 wheels I don't care if I'm in a minivan, camry or truck but a bike is different.

Steve

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I suspect it has something to do with "instant gratification" and later buyers remorse when they only put 4,000 miles on it in a year. I've had my 06 TiWing since Aug 24th and have 4600 miles on it. I bought it to ride, not take up space in my garage. I think the other major part is the mental attitude. When you actually enjoy the feeling of being on a Wing, going down the highway, twisties, or wherever, then you're meant to be on 2 wheels! If you're thinking.. "how much longer until we're there and why is it so cold and noisy and windy and bugs and exhaust and why is that car trying to kill me", then... sell the Wing.

Just my 2Cents

Matt

www.thesabrehood.org

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Couple of reasons come to mind:

1) Change mind about bike (want something else).

2) Decide GL1800 wasn't a good FIRST choice (beginner rider).

3) Financial reasons.

4) Health reasons.

5) They convince themselves that the dealer is GIVING THEM A GREAT DEAL FOR ONLY A FEW $$ MORE THAN THEY ARE CURRENTLY SPENDING!

Merry XMAS!

Shane

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Personally, I hope this trend continues. I will never buy a bike new because of the HUGE depreciation. I usually wait a year or two and get a far better deal, leaving more $$$ for goodies. I feel that nobody will sell if they really don't want to.....
I got my 1800 just over a year old w/ 11k miles and was the THRID owner even. Saved a bundle over new with loads of accessories and warranty.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Teaser 1 said:
Why do so many people buy a Wing and then resell it for what is probably a tremendous financial loss within a year or so with superlow mileages??? I've seen this occur repeatedly and always wonder why? Other than an unforeseen financial hardship what could possibly justify this kind of indecisiveness or lack of forethought?? No insult intended.
Probably for the same reasons that if you go by any marina you will see thousand of boats just sitting there. The dream and the reality are two different things. Riding a Wing is no different.

Purchased my 06 (before the 07's came out) with 800 miles on it. Great buy, fellow was just not into touring and came to that conclusion after a few months.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Where are all of these great deals??

·
Registered
213 Posts
Some one not comfortable with their lot in life trying to keep up with the Jones. Maybe? :roll:
Who gives a rats ass? :?

But then again that'sust me

after 13 beer :)

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I bought my '06 Navi Wing this past July used with 700 miles for $18.5K from a private seller willing to take my 2003 Burgman AN650 with 16K miles in on trade and allowing me $5K for it. $13.5K difference works for me, especially since the sale tax got reduced greatly. :D

My local dealer would not budge off MSRP on the same level Wing. With the tax benefit and difference price this local dealer would have had to allow me $10K for my used Burgman just to equal the deal I got. :shock:

Great deals can be found on this forum in the "Classifieds section". Only trouble is you need to be able to reconize a good deal when you see one. :roll:

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Teaser 1 said:
A very close friend of mine has been a salesman of new bikes for over twenty years
and from what he tells me, the majority of these buy/sell scenarios are for one reason.
It's easier to get a loan...
than it is to make a payment.

DC

·
Registered
57 Posts
To me, most of my bikes through out the years ( been riding since '76), have been brand new ones. Nothing like that new bike smell ! I got an excellent deal on my '07. Thousands off of list. Works for me 8)

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I bought my new 02 wing in June of 03 (substantial savings) I usually keep anything I buy for sevral years so I get most of the good out of it.

The Vulcan I just purchased new (last Sat.) is a 2004 model. I bought it for less than the used ones are bringing on Ebay and I did see one used one at another dealer and they were asking 700.00 more for theirs than I gave for mine out the door.

Is this the right thing to do? Who really knows. All I know is I am happy with both of them and the purchases I made. That is all that counts.

Ross

1 - 20 of 30 Posts