GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard of two gold wings having a problem with either dropping out of fifth gear or not being able to get it into fifth gear. Usually around 20K to 25K miles. It was warrentied by Honda in both cases.
My concern is I only have about 15K on my bike and getting close to the time for the warrenty to expire. Is there anything I need to check or do to see if I might have this problem later on? Has anyone had this problem? So far, my '03 Wing has been great.[/b

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Hello extended warrenty.....................about $400.00.....chuck

·
Registered
21,091 Posts
tranny problems on wings are pretty rare

with 15,000 trouble free miles i wouldn't worry about it

like Chuck said theres always the $400 4 year extended warranty if your worried

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
3 years? 15,000 miles? Time to trade that tired ol' thing off, seems to me... :lol:

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Tranny pop-outs....

If you have never had any miss-shifts (end up between gears or pops out and back in after releasing the clutch), then you probably have nothing to worry about. My '06 is the only Honda I have ever ridden any significant miles that did not have at least one miss-shift in about a thousand or more shifts. It actually has not even had one. It has had a few double and triple "clicks" in the same upward motion. My 02 would every now and then have a miss-shift even when brand new. On my last 4 day ride on it, it started consistently popping out and back in gear between 0.1 and 1 mile every time I went into 5th. I never had the need to look into the problem because I did not quite make it back home on it as a series of unfortunate circumstances left me with a smashed back right valve cover and a good bit of other damage. Insurance said they were totaling it and I said "OK, take it". Tranny problem solved. It had 112,598 on the clock.

My only explanation for not having miss-shifts on the 06 is due to me continuing to try to move the shift lever up until I have fully released the clutch. Before, I would pull in the clutch, push up the shifter, release the shifter, release clutch. Changing the order of the last two allows the second and possibly third "click" to occur as the clutch starts putting a load on the gears.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts