GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wish I had thought of this myself but must admit it is an idea I picked on a different forum. If you are tired of trying to top off the tank on your 2018+ Wing just do this.

Take the white plastic filler out of the gas tank opening and you now have a tank that fills like it should. Small screwdriver blade between the fill nozzle and white plastic nozzle then needle nose pliers and pull it out.

This may be the best mod I have done yet. Did it today and filled the tank up. No mess and didn't take 50 squirts from the gas hose to top it off.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, that piece of plastic is designed to preserve a space over the fuel at the top of the gas tank. This space is to allow for the expansion of the fuel as it gets warmer and also to allow the vapor venting and fuel rollover valve systems to function properly. Not sure I'd be to hasty about removing it, in order to put a bit more fuel in the tank.

·
Banned
435 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, that piece of plastic is designed to preserve a space over the fuel at the top of the gas tank. This space is to allow for the expansion of the fuel as it gets warmer and also to allow the vapor venting and fuel rollover valve systems to function properly. Not sure I'd be to hasty about removing it, in order to put a bit more fuel in the tank.
Yea.... I have to think Honda put it in there for a reason.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think it's worth a try. Thanks MopHead. I can happily leave a space using my own eyes as I fill up. I hate that the white tube setup causes fuel to spray back on my paintwork. I'm definitely doing it before the next fill up.

·
Banned
435 Posts
I think it's worth a try. Thanks MopHead. I can happily leave a space using my own eyes as I fill up. I hate that the white tube setup causes fuel to spray back on my paintwork. I'm definitely doing it before the next fill up.
I've never had fuel spray back. I stick the pump into the filler neck, pull the trigger, and even use the trigger lock when the pump has one. The pump stops automatically and has never sprayed or overfilled.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Great mod! I am doing this today. As for leaving room for expansion, I figure by the time I leave the gas station and get home I will have ample room for expansion.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have not removed the sleeve so it is difficult to measure. The fuel filler cap has a rubber protrusion in the center, about 34 mm in diameter that appears to seal to that white plastic sleeve. With the sleeve removed and the remaining metal ring being 39 mm the cap may not form a seal, and a simple tip-over in the driveway would have fuel spilling down the side of the bike. Fuel running out at an accident scene could have even more serious consequences.
Someone who has the sleeve removed can check this, see if the plastic sleeve seals to the cap.

·
Registered
16,803 Posts
There are several fuel stations I use that REALLY pump the fuel at high velocity and I always get a splash there even if the tank is not so full. Trying to feather the trigger on those gas nozzles is futile, it is ON or OFF for practical purposes.

Then there are some that I think are slower than an old fellow taking a leak. I can fill up just right with those and no splash, but ain't nobody got time fer dat.

Before people start removing this limiting neck, maybe the OP can testify as to if this can be replace at a later date if things do not work out so well.

prs

·
Registered
352 Posts
Then there are some that I think are slower than an old fellow taking a leak. I can fill up just right with those and no splash, but ain't nobody got time fer dat.
HEY! I resemble that remark! You young fellers think it is easy being old and decrapitated.

·
Registered
393 Posts
We are going down the same trail CB!

·
Registered
19,015 Posts
BS

The 18+ Wing will splash badly if the pump is on automatic. It is even tough just to fill it manually.

I lift the nozzle and fill it slowly to prevent overflow of fuel

·
Registered
352 Posts
Just got mine out after a long ride. Now I can't wait to fill er' up!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
The only time I have gas splatter is user error. I either try to overfill it or just don't pay attention to what I am doing. Same with my 1996, my 2012 and now this one. Putting gas in this bike should not be rocket science but for some it is. 😕

Reactions: WingNero

·
Registered
546 Posts
I'll probably skip this mod, at least until the bike is out of warranty. Might not be an issue, but I find it's best to not argue with lawyers if possible. And I'm not saying that lawyers don't follow or understand science/physics/etc., but just that the language used in warranty statements can be tricky to navigate. YMMV.

1 - 20 of 164 Posts