GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it is raining out, and I have way too much time on my hands. Today I decided to do a little light maintenance, and had to make three trips under the bike just to get the oil out.

Soooo...I took the Big Bike filter wrench, cut down a 17mm hex Taiwan socket, welded it to the end of the wrench, found a hunk of small iron and welded it to the back side, and painted the whole thing. Now with just the wrench, I can loosen the Dzus fasteners on the belly pan, pull the drain plug, take off the filter, pull the rear end drain plug, take off the rear end filler plug, put it all back together, tighten it all up - the whole time just laying on my dead behind. Now if I tie it to the drain pan with a 6 foot string, I do not have to remember to bring em both.... and that is getting to be important.

Wonder why they do not just cut a 17mm hole in the wrench to start with?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
You got too much time on your hands!!! Good idea though!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
IR Harry said:
Wonder why they do not just cut a 17mm hole in the wrench to start with?
I believe that is an extra $50 option. :D

G

·
0 Posts
Ilike the looks of that wrench even before your alterations. Take it I can get one from big bike parts. Gonna go find one right now.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
You forgot about the Crush Washer! Where do you keep them?

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually, I only use that wrench to change the crush washers. Its just that when I go to change them, all that oil runs out on the floor. Thats why I have to put a string on the drain pan - and I keep the crush washers in the pan so I can fish then out when they get flooded with old gooey oil......but getting old and forgetful isn't all that bad - you just can't remember how it used to be.....

·
Registered
606 Posts
I can't wait to have that! not the wrench, sure that's a nice piece of work, I want the "too much time on my hands"!! :D :D

·
Registered
977 Posts
IR Harry,

Is that a pronoun or and adjective, your name that is. All joking aside, good idea on the wrench. Don't bother with a patent as I have two. Can be many, many$$$ each and take a several years. By then so many others are using your idea you will spend more $$ having your lawyers chasing them down. I got lucky and made a little money but did not get rich. Only the lawyers get rich. $#@^&*% lawyers. If there are any on this board I do not apologize for my comments.

Back to the wrench, good idea. If you are in the mfg business that are probably more than a few on this board that would buy from you.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Harry,

Maybe you can get John to bring his bike over and you can spend some of that time on it!

You are right too much rain and time.

Redeye

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Jay Hoover said:
IR Harry,

Is that a pronoun or and adjective, your name that is. All joking aside, good idea on the wrench. Don't bother with a patent as I have two. Can be many, many$$$ each and take a several years. By then so many others are using your idea you will spend more $$ having your lawyers chasing them down. I got lucky and made a little money but did not get rich. Only the lawyers get rich. $#@^&*% lawyers. If there are any on this board I do not apologize for my comments.
Let me guess...Vacuum Cleaner! :oops:

·
Registered
977 Posts
Don't I wish. No, I work in the medical industry and made a couple accessories for plasmapheresis machines. Big companies will steel your ideas and then dare you to challenge them. They have deep pockets and can outspend individuals. I got lucky and made just a little after all expenses.

Still like the wrench IR Harry made. Who the guy on the board that markets the steering stem wrench? Might be an outlet for Harry to market his tools.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I bought this wrench on Ebay early this year. I see them on sale there every once in a while. One end is for the filter and the other end fits the drain plug.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts